Technology Advocate (Developer Relations) for Collaborative Incident Management (DevOps, VictorOps)
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
You will be Splunk's Technology Advocate for Collaborative Incident Management (DevOps), provide expertise, advice, and ‘evangelism’ (advocacy) for the ‘DevOps community’ (including Practitioners in Dev, Ops, DevOps, Agile, SRE, WebOps, CI/CD, Observability, Engineering, Cloud Native, AIOps, etc.), focused primarily on Splunk’s VictorOps solution, but also on broader industry topics. Through your thought leadership in DevOps in general, and collaborative incident management in particular, you will help to strengthen our presence in this community by helping developers and operations engineers every day.
Be part of the global IT Markets Technology Advocacy team, reporting directly to the Chief Technology Advocate for IT Markets, working closely with Field Marketing, Global Events, Field Sales, AR/PR, and other teams and Splunk and VictorOps. You have a strong hands-on product and practitioner background, and will be developing your capabilities to be a strategic leader with vision and community influencer in your own right.
Your main goal will be to educate and activate buyers and influencers in DevOps through positive engagements with the practitioner community, its key leaders with vision (Bloggers, Analysts, Press), and with existing Splunk and VictorOps customers.
Your strategic priorities will include:
- You will be engaging, educating, and activating DevOps communities and influencers through thought-leading conversations and events
- You will also be directly supporting field sales with strategic prospects and customers to help open, progress, and close DevOps opportunities
- You will be assisting product teams in delivering compelling new DevOps-oriented capabilities to help disrupt legacy approaches
Tactically, you will deliver high-impact advocacy by building and/or leveraging your positive public profile in this community, your deep understanding of DevOps technologies and trends, and your shown ability to communicate and drive excitement, especially for VictorOps and other cool and exciting technologies, with key responsibilities that include:
- Create engaging content – blogs, tutorials, podcasts, videos, presentations, papers, etc.
- Present technical education sessions at hosted, partner, and community events
- Participate in and lead practitioner/community meetups, conferences, hackdays, etc.
- Create and improve VictorOps resources for DevOps practitioners and teams
- Provide hands-on demos of Splunk and VictorOps at events, customer visits, webinars, etc.
- Be able to build inspiring use cases with VictorOps APIs/SDKs, code, documentation, integrations, etc.
- Work on solving customer problems in person and via phone, email, chat, social media, forums, etc.
- Identify and secure speaking sessions at influential industry and DevOps events
- Work with partners and customers on joint webinars, whitepapers, case studies, etc.
- Host and participate in invitation-only events for key influencers and leaders with vision
- Engage practitioners and influencers through social media and online communities
- Contribute to sales and customer success at customer meetings, seminars, and workshops
- Build and maintain formal and informal relationships across the DevOps community
- You have excellent communication and presentation skills – including written, verbal, and graphical – able to craft a compelling message from scratch, and/or tailor it for any audience
- At least 5 years of recent hands-on experience in IT Systems Management, IT Operations, Web/Cloud Development, DevOps, Systems Administration, Site Reliability Engineering, or equivalent area
- Ideally 1-3 years of experience in a software vendor environment preferred, ideally in a technical customer-facing role e.g. pre-sales engineer, product management, product marketing
- You have in-depth hands-on experience of incident and problem management, performance management, observability, operational intelligence, and/or analytics for IT operations
- In-depth technical knowledge of cloud-native, agile, DevOps, and other similar ‘modern’ development and operations methodologies, processes, and technologies
- Have active engagement with the DevOps community through published content, social and/or traditional media, online contributions, in-person meetups, speaking at events, etc.
- You have experience as a Technology Evangelist (not required), however, having an existing body of public content (blogs, podcasts, papers, presentations, videos, etc.) is mandatory
- Specific VictorOps experience is highly preferred, but experience with alternative solutions will be considered; specific experience with Splunk is preferred, but not mandatory
- You are a self starter who enjoys working in a dynamic and collaborative environment, able to set and meet objectives with minimal direct supervision, with the commitment to be awesome every day
- Open collaborator who enjoys interacting with others at all levels (especially hands-on technology geeks!) in both professional and social settings
- Ability to travel as needed for the position – position will entail an estimated 50% or more travel, including on some weekends (not too often)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or related discipline
- Bachelor of Arts degree coupled with substantial experience in IT Ops/DevOps is also acceptable
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!