Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Staff Consultant – Mechanical (Mechanisms)
What You'll Do:
- Lead mechanical engineering design of aerospace mechanisms and/or precision aerospace electro-mechanical, and/or opto-mechanical flight hardware systems, from concept through final delivery. Responsibilities may include:
- Performing CAD modeling, design analysis, and provide mentoring other engineers, designers, and drafters.
- Designing Control System Architecture and Robotics for Active Mechanism/Systems.
- Reviewing designs and providing technical mentoring on Requirements Development, Design for Manufacturing, Design for Test, and Requirements Verification.
- Generating accurate cost/schedule estimates and manage performance to plan.
- Proactively identifying, communicating, and managing risks and opportunities.
- Providing technical oversight of mechanisms related subcontracts.
- Leading a team through anomaly investigations.
- Architecting design solutions to meet technical scope within cost and schedule boundaries.
- Contribute to continuous evolution of mechanism related processes and tools to improve execution.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 16 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering preferred.
- Experience in mechanism design for aerospace applications required.
- Proficiency using CAD software for modeling/drafting (SolidWorks preferred) and Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing.
- Demonstrated capability, and proficiency, in design analysis and making risk-based decisions.
- Prior participation in written and/or oral proposal/design review activities for external Customers. (Experience with NASA and DoD programs preferred)
- Active TS/SCI clearance preferred, willingness and ability to obtain clearance required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $151,000 - $191,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.