Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
RF Staff Consultant (Survivability and Strike)
This staff consultant position will have stealth or low-observable (LO) antenna and RF design engineering as its area of specialization.
What You’ll Do
- Antenna and antenna-related RF component design and development along with new business support; typically supporting more than one program at a time.
- Antenna requirement evaluation, initial concept trade-off and development, in-house and customer presentations, travel, and technical proposal writing and cost/schedule estimating.
- Be responsible for the hands-on design and realization of state-of-the-art LO antennas and RF components.
- Applies and/or develops highly advanced RF and LO technologies, scientific principles, theories and concepts. Viewed as expert within the field.
- Mentor and guide more junior engineers and technicians in the design, build, and test phases of projects and programs.
- Designs, researches and develops highly advanced new applications resulting in new product/business opportunities for the company.
- Works under consultative direction toward predetermined long-range goals and objectives. Assignments are often self-initiated. Determines and pursues courses of action necessary to obtain desired results.
- Works on unusually complex technical problems and provides solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious.
- Serves as consultant to top management in long-range company planning concerning new or projected areas of technological research and advancements.
- Effective in working with people at all levels and with outside customers, able and willing to contribute wherever and however needed, provide leadership and guidance to program activities and senior level people.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 16 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Requires full competency in core RF engineering and antenna theory and skills and potentially stronger specializations in several specific RF-related fields.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Exceptional presentation skills. Leads and/or directs group discussions.
- Experience and skills to effectively contribute to successful producibility of designs and to cost, budget, and schedule control.
- Significant experience with design of antennas and RF components (frequency-selective surfaces (FSS), radomes, power dividers, couplers, transitions, etc.).
- Analytical design experience using software and simulation tools such as AWR Microwave Office/Agilent ADS, CST, FEKO, HFSS, and SENTRI.
- Experience and proficiency in programming, data manipulation, and data visualization in MATLAB.
- RCS design, prediction, and measurement experience is preferred. This includes analysis and simulation experience as well as measurement experience.
- Must be able to create effective test plans; schedule and execute measurements at internal and external facilities; perform measurement analysis and troubleshooting; process measurement data using such tools such as Knowbell, DataPro, and Saber; and summarize performance using conventional figures of merit for LO antennas (RCS, Gain, VSWR, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to apply extensive technical expertise in RF engineering and to leverage knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Current security clearance is preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Future Clearance Required:
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $159,000 - $200,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.