Project Manager at Zayo
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
Zayo is actively deploying large-scale fiber optic and Private Dedicated Network (PDN) lit networks throughout the United States in support of wireless and E-rate deployments. Fiber optic/PDN projects include design, engineering, permitting, construction and testing of new fiber spans and lit circuits. These projects may leverage Zayo’s existing fiber plant as well as extensive new Outside Plant (OSP) network construction to deliver fiber connectivity. PDN projects will also include the deployment of electronics to core node and end user locations to deliver the end lit service.
The Fiber and PDN PM is responsible for the overall successful implementation and delivery of these projects.
The PM orchestrates a team of outside plant project managers (OSP PM), construction managers (CM), engineers, network engineers and service delivery coordinators to successfully and proactively:
- Lead all elements of network installation – Closely manage internal staff and external vendors through the design, permitting, construction and integration process. Ensure the team is working efficiently and effectively in all phases of project execution. Recommend and facilitate the execution of organizational or reporting adjustments as required to maintain optimal project execution.
- Manage customer requirements and expectations – Maintain constant alignment with the customer regarding schedule, technical requirements, build responsibilities and handoffs. Provide regular project updates to the customer throughout the life of the project. Proactively identify and resolve customer-facing issues.
- Develop and manage the project schedule – Leveraging Zayo tools, build and validate the project schedule with the project team and ensure the plan meets project objectives. Diligently maintain the project schedules over the life of the project. Ensure the project schedule accurately reflects the project status and is effective in managing the project status throughout the project.
- Develop and manage the project budget – Leveraging Zayo tools, build and validate the project budget with the assistance and input of the project team. Ensure the projected project spend in maintained over the life of the project and proactively resolve any budget issues.
- Aggressively manage execution – Manage against the schedule and budget baselines to drive progress, identify and mitigate risks and achieve measurable results. Ensure all team members are in alignment with goals, are accountable for their results and are effectively contributing to the team’s success. Diligently identify, track, follow up and resolve on all issues and actions encountered by Zayo and the customer
- Develop and implement project processes, reporting and metrics that record progress, ensure quality, reinforce ownership and accountability, demonstrate trends, identify bottlenecks and achieve results. Adapt current reporting to the specific needs of the project or develop new reporting as required.
- Transparently report project progress – Clearly chart and report project progress. Use key indicators to undercover unhealthy trends or issues before they become project impacting. Proactively raise issues (schedule, budget, technical, quality, customer experience, contractual, etc.) along with mitigation recommendations to leadership and oversee the execution of get-well plans. Maintain constant customer communications on key events and schedule movers.
- Demonstrated successful overall project management responsibility of large-scale network deployments, ideally related to OSP, Ethernet and/or wireless networks.
- Proven ability to develop large project schedules and budgets, maintain forecasts and manage against a scope of work.
- Process and metrics-based management style. Exceptional report development, implementation and analysis skills. Ability to adapt existing reporting or develop new reporting to match the unique and changing needs of each project while working within Zayo reporting standards. Extreme attention to detail and an inherent need to understand. Must be strong in Excel (formulas, macros, pivots), Access or similar.
- Proven ability to manage a virtual team across various functional and/or geographic regions to ensure engagement, maintain goal alignment, achieve results and make the project a rewarding experience for the team. Must be able to provide direction to multiple functions to ensure project timelines and contractual commitments are met.
- Ability to act as a key customer point of contact. Includes preparing and leading customers through regular status updates, managing expectations and addressing customer-facing issues.
- Experience with contract/construction management including RFP preparation, budgeting and control estimates, bid review and award, change order management, materials management and project closeout is a plus.
- Understanding of OSP construction management is a plus to include OSP construction methodologies, route feasibility and design development, OSP engineering, permitting, make ready and construction processes, OSP metrics and measures.
- Working knowledge of GIS-based tools such as MapInfo, ArcView or Google Earth.
- Working knowledge of Salesforce is a plus.
- Familiarity with E-rate is a plus.
- Passionate, positive, business-minded leader
- Motivated team leader with strong work ethic and high standards for work quality
- Strong management and interpersonal skills
- Experience with telecom network deployment, project management databases and tracking systems
- Excellent internal and external team building skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including metrics, reporting and dashboards
- 5 years minimum project management experience required
- PMP certification a plus
- High level understanding of telecommunication products and services knowledge preferred
- Flexible work hours and some travel
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave