Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Project Engineer – Software
Ball Aerospace is looking to expand our team with a self-starting leader to perform software project engineering across a range of space and tactical missions. This position consists of managing cost and schedule responsibilities for software development activities, integrating with a multi-disciplinary team, leveraging a strong technical background, and contributing to proposal and strategic planning at the organizational level.
What You’ll Do:
- Software project planning, tracking and oversight, including cost and schedule responsibility.
- Provide status, metrics, and regular updates to program management.
- Interface with the software team to understand progress, barriers, risks, and opportunities.
- Interface with other engineering disciplines to manage inter-team agreements and deliveries.
- Maintain a strong technical understanding of the project baseline, trade studies, and assist with any issues encountered by the development team.
- Assist in planning and executing strategies for productization, standardization, reuse, and growth at the organizational level.
- Support proposals through software project planning and estimating.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Proficiency with earned value management, software cost management, and formal lifecycle methodologies (agile and waterfall).
- Proficiency with leading and managing a team producing software products while negotiating the technical, cost, schedule and risk areas.
- Ability to operate at the system level and interface to other engineering disciplines.
- Previous experience in a software development role, preferably in real-time, embedded, or aerospace applications.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.