Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI CI Polygraph security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Project Engineer Senior - Space RF Telecom Section Lead
This leadership position is for a highly-experienced engineering leader to provide functional leadership for a team of 17 project and systems engineers.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop into Section Lead providing functional management for a team of RF Telecom and Project Engineers. This position is 70% management and 30% technical.
- Develop and execute initiatives that align to corporate visions and strategies to ensure high quality, complete engineering products are delivered to our mission partners and customers.
- Inspire, build, and maintain the functional team so that they can leverage strengths and build on weaknesses to continually improve mission performance together.
- Provide staffing to programs to lead or support RF Telecom subsystem integrated product teams that design, develop, procure, integrate, test, and operate space qualified hardware to meet mission needs.
- Align performance and developmental goals of assigned personnel with corporate objectives, program expectations, and professional growth opportunities.
- Manage execution a portfolio of programs. Monitor and report execution metrics, share lessons learned.
- Lead business development/proposal efforts. Maintain central database on heritage cost, schedule, and technical data to support business development efforts. Leverage heritage data and tailor proposals to meet customer-unique requirements.
- Develop technology roadmap to propose and execute Internal Research and Development (IRAD) projects that improve RF Telecom subsystem performance or reduce costs.
- Account for portfolio-level (across all programs) execution objectives and performance; maintain priorities; track risks and opportunities; and provide surge support as needed.
- Establish strong vendor relationships for subsystem components; coordinate with supply chain to ensure our processes and actions support the maturation of a stable supply base.
- Extensive technical writing (Proposal development, Contractual elements, procedural definitions, specifications, interfaces, analysis support and description documents).
- Collect and communicate lessons learned data across all programs, initiatives, and teams to continually improve team performance.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field is preferred plus 16 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Minimum of 6 years of direct experience in RF Component or Comm Subsystem Design or Test.
- A solid understanding of all aspects of planning, scheduling, hardware specifications, and interface control.
- Previous earned value management experience is highly desired.
- Proven expertise in subcontract management.
- Extensive experience with defining, developing and delivering space qualified hardware.
- Engineering leadership experience with teams of 5 or more people.
- Intellectual curiosity combined with a strong desire to learn.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Effective in multidisciplinary large teamwork environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $159,000 - $200,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.