Project Engineer I - Space Systems Simulators at Ball Aerospace (Greater Boulder Area, CO)
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Project Engineer I – Space Systems Simulators
Reporting to the Manager of Simulators, this position has responsibility for leading simulator development on a specific spacecraft program.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide a dedicated interface to a spacecraft program including the customer, peer subsystems and program management
- Maintain cost & schedule baselines with the program including earned value & contract changes
- Present simulator design at PDR/CDR as well as business reviews (IBR/BMR) & status at PMR and other internal & external program forums
- Lead simulator activities throughout the lifecycle of programs including proposals, design, production, acceptance and on orbit operations
- Develop requirements, verification & validation products necessary to sell off simulators for both internal and customer contract deliverables
- Coordinate program specific needs & resolve cost/schedule/technical issues to the satisfaction of all users
- Provide leadership with the program’s flight subsystems to integrate software and/or hardware components into a cohesive spacecraft simulation.
- Proactively identify customer needs & find ways to make simulators part of the solutions to their problems
- Provide early identification of issues that would prevent simulators from meeting both their requirements and the customer’s expectations
- Additional opportunities may include:
- Communicate a vision of the system architecture to Ball engineers, and lead multi-disciplinary teams across multiple organizations in detailed design, analysis, and optimization of the candidate systems and subsystem performance and operation.
- Act as mentor for several other systems & software engineers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Unit/Strategic Support Unit and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Active Top Secret clearance is highly desirable
- Ability to acquire a Top Secret security clearance is required.
- Software project management experience on Agile teams.
- Familiarity with Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
- Software architectural and development experience using technologies such as C/C++, Matlab, Simulink, Python, Ruby, JIRA/Atlasian, GIT, SVN, Doors, AWS, or Docker.
- 5 or more years of experience as a technical lead in software, spacecraft or instrument programs or related fields.
- Experience in software engineering or space hardware is desired, including, but not limited to: Systems architectures, including both space and ground segments; flight systems design, systems engineering, as well as integration & test.
- Proven leadership and management skills for large and small projects.
- Excellent communication skills are essential, including the ability to understand the customer’s needs and provide clear communication of proposed solutions to both Ball management and the customer.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.