Sr. Director, Global Product Management, Somatic Oncology Services (ADX-15-21) at ArcherDX
In October 2020, Invitae Corporation (NYSE: NVTA) combined with ArcherDX, a genomic analysis company specializing in cancer diagnostics and monitoring, to create a leading comprehensive medical and cancer genetics company. As a combined company, Invitae, is bringing world-class genetic testing and diagnostics into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our goal is to aggregate the world’s genetic tests into a single service with higher quality and accuracy, faster turnaround time and actionable results. Learn more at invitae.com and archerdx.com.
Why the role matters: This individual will play a significant role in defining the company’s strategic plan to support the long-term growth of the oncology business, shaping the company’s somatic oncology services portfolio to address the key needs of the clinical & pharma market segments on a global scale.
Overview: The Sr. Director will manage the clinical services portfolio for somatic oncology cancer testing, as well as services for CDx development and clinical trials support. The Director is an experienced product leader with a strong track record of successful service product introductions and lifecycle management. Specifically, candidates must have a strong background in raising lab-developed tests and defining and developing services to support pharma partners to support their oncology pipelines, and should have working knowledge of the design control process. This individual will work cross-functionally, partnering with various functional stakeholders to translate application-specific customer needs into design inputs, and ushering the product through the development process, ensuring the commercialization of solutions that bring value to ArcherDx’s customers.
- Own the services menu, developing the strategy and executing on the product vision with a focus on on-time delivery of service products that address the needs of the clinical oncology market.
- Work in close collaboration with the Assay and Software Product Management Teams to clearly define the role of the services offering in supporting the overall RUO to IVD strategy for oncology.
- Understand and actively assess the market: segmentation, dynamics, trends, regional regulatory landscape. Actively monitor industry trends to understand the competitive environment and anticipate precision oncology market shifts and customer demands. Use knowledge to evaluate, update and manage change (as appropriate) for in flight and on-market products.
- Develop business cases for new opportunities. Include creation of strategic plans, product definitions, market segmentation, collection of voice of customer, product requirements, market analysis and input into the annual marketing budget and metrics that will allow assessment of adoption.
- Drive roadmap execution technically and commercially in partnership with the Assay Development, Software, Engineering, Regulatory, Market Access, Medical Affairs, Marketing, Regional Sales and Pharma BD, Support, Finance, Quality, Clinical Operations and Manufacturing teams.
- Collaborate with Alliance Management, Pharma Business Development, Corporate Development and other cross functional stakeholders to support on-time completion of pharma due diligence, contract proposals and SOWs.
- Analyze and segment various markets to determine compelling value proposition, competitive positioning, most desirable and critical product attributes and trade-offs, most appropriate pricing strategy and business model.
- Drive successful relationships with key customers to ensure an understanding of emerging trends and key drivers for successful adoption of new products.
- Partner with Regulatory, Marketing and Business Development to gain regional market feedback and incorporate considerations in portfolio decisions and go to market priorities.
- Lead development of user stories, market requirements and work together with the technical product manager to define technical specifications.
- Develop key performance indicators for the products to enable tracking of adoption and utilization.
- Periodically assess the product against the market to ensure optimal customer satisfaction, implementing improvements when needed to maintain competitiveness in the market.
- Lead cross-functional groups and drive accountability even if not in the same department.
- Lead core team in product development projects, representing the voice of the customer, while partnering with key stakeholders to ensure the successful introduction of the product into the market.
- Own the customer-driven process to define user workflows in different use settings and communicate this workflow to sub-teams for implementation.
- Enable and clearly communicate prioritization of projects, features and tasks for the team to facilitate a clear path to execution.
- Own early access programs to ensure validation of user requirements and specifications as well as allow optimization of overall user experience to help drive repeat business.
- Develop go-to-market plans in collaboration with assay product managers and global marketing built to achieve revenue goals, ensure successful customer adoption and accelerate ramp to volume.
- Provide technical marketing support to commercial teams, training and tool development.
- Bachelors or Masters in genetics, molecular genetics, molecular biology, biomedical engineering, or related field.
- Advanced degree, PhD or MBA a plus.
- Strong track record of success in bringing products to market
- Previous experience with IVD product development
- Previous experience launching oncology NGS-based testing services (LDTs, IVDs) in a CLIA/CAP laboratory
- Minimum of 7 years as a product manager
- Ability to build business cases with quantitative market analytics, revenue, NPV and profitability projections.
- Strong understanding of core team processes and product life cycle management
- Strong understanding of product development and design control process
- Ability to lead by influence and drive stakeholder alignment
- Strong understanding of the target market, the customer behavior and decision drivers to understand and explain technical considerations and trade-offs
- Deep knowledge of somatic testing and hereditary cancer testing across different technology platforms
- Experience with next-generation sequencing technology or complex workflows
- Experience in and knowledge of molecular biology, in vitro diagnostics, medical devices
- High degree of technical competency
- Self-learner, takes a proactive role in learning, able to digest information from various sources
- Ability to develop support materials (internal and customer-facing) for workflows and applications, and build and deliver compelling, market focused presentations.
- Strong initiative, problem-solving ability and sense of ownership when driving projects to completion.
- Previous sales, marketing or business development experience preferred
- Up to 20% travel both domestically and/or internationally, as needed and as permitted based on public health advisory
- Boulder, CO and San Francisco, CA preferred