Product Owner - Data Reliability at Xero
Success looks like
- You have a clear understanding of Xero’s strategic priorities and how your products and services align to it. You have articulated a compelling product vision that the pod pursues with missionary zeal. They know what’s important, how they are contributing, and why what they’re doing matters.
- Product, design and engineering is considered side-by-side: They are all involved in product discovery. Your skill in modern product discovery practices enables the pod to understand and use many experimental techniques.
- You and the pod actively seek out metrics to validate a hypothesis and measure results. You enable the pod to instrument their work so they immediately understand how their products are being used.
- You have brought your customers and pod closer together: The pod obsesses over customers. They engage directly with them and get product ideas from observing customer struggles, and analyzing customer data.
- You have built healthy relationships with your stakeholders. Key stakeholders are involved in product discovery activities; and all stakeholders are updated appropriately on product releases and roadmaps.
- The boundaries of your products (what the pod owns and what they don’t) is articulated and understood inside and outside of the pod.
Skills & Experience
- Proven experience championing strategic priorities and helping others relate to and align with it.
- Proven Product Ownership experience — with a toolbox of modern product discovery practices to draw upon.
- Proven experience using a range of metrics to monitor the success and health of products and services. Proven experience of making evidence-based decisions.
- A solid track record of addressing customer needs. Ideally, proven experience connecting teams closer with customers (and not just be a proxy for them).
- Excellent stakeholder management skills. Proven experience building meaningful, collaborative relationships across all levels of the business.
- Proven experience advocating for/evangelizing a product or service with customers and stakeholders.
- Proven experience leading a team through influencing and persuasion, without formal authority.
- Proven experience working with innovative software development projects at scale.
- Ideally, proven experience with discovering and building enabling products for internal users using platform as a product methodology.
- Great communication skills. Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative, and relying on jargon.
- Growth mindset. Has a growth mindset — understands that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work. Demonstrates a love of learning and resilience to adversity that is essential for great accomplishment.
- High EQ. Is self aware, self regulated, motivated and empathetic with great interpersonal skills.
- Product ownership. Knowledgeable in product ownership. Has a toolkit of modern product discovery practices to draw upon.