Product Manager at Xero
What you’ll do
- Deliver value through defining, driving and executing the product strategy and roadmap that realizes the vision and ensures the success of the product in ways that work for customers and the business
- Bridge UX, technical and customer worlds by creating strong and productive relationships with stakeholders to deliver on key priorities
- Identify success metrics and track product performance in line with team the product vision, strategy and objectives
- Have a passion for empowering small businesses and solving their problems through Xero’s products
Success looks like (Product)
- You can demonstrate a deep understanding of Xero’s mission and product strategy, and how you plan to execute on the vision and Getting Paid objectives
- Your roadmap is being executed according to plan and you are focused on the most important initiatives. All individuals working on and around your product understand what’s being built, why it’s being built and when it needs to be delivered
- Product success is clearly defined with key customer metrics and constantly measured and reported to key stakeholders, along with recommendations based on insights
- You consider technical investment to be included in the product roadmap, and your teams are actively contributing to the product’s and project’s architectural vision.
Success looks like (Process)
- Your team is delivering software with a strong cadence, according to your product roadmap & are looking for small things to learn quickly. You foster an experimentation culture within the teams
- Your team’s product practices are continuously evaluated and improved upon to ensure we are always delivering value to customers.
- Cross team dependencies across shared product lines are effectively coordinated and managed through your great relationships with other Product Managers.
- You are continually working with other Product teams, stakeholders across the business, and your peers in the leadership team to ensure the product roadmap is on track and will deliver for customers and for Xero.
- Product, design and engineering are considered side-by-side: They are all involved in product discovery. Your skill in modern product discovery practices enables the team to understand and use many experimental techniques.
- You and the team actively seek out metrics to validate a hypothesis and measure results. You enable the team to instrument their work so they immediately understand how their products are being used and ultimately whether customer and business value is being created.
- You have brought your customers and team closer together: The team obsesses over customers. They engage directly with them and get product ideas from observing customer struggles, and analyzing customer data.
- You have built healthy relationships with your stakeholders. Key stakeholders are involved in product discovery activities; and all stakeholders are updated appropriately on product releases and roadmaps.
- The boundaries of your products (what the team owns, what they don’t, and even the grey areas) are articulated and understood inside and outside of the team.
- You and the team have built a compelling portfolio of products and services that your customers love to use.
What you’ll bring with you
- Ability to break down complex problems, deliver real-world business outcomes and handle shifting and competing priorities
- Love for building quality software that customers love and a deep understanding of design thinking and performance analytics
- Ability to build effective relationships across all levels of the business, leveraging excellent stakeholder management, open communication style and interpersonal skills
- Able to work closely with technical and non-technical team members in parallel
- Diplomacy and drive
- Ownership and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Outcomes and delivery focused
- Advocating for / evangelizing your product with customers and stakeholders
- Championing strategic priorities and helping others relate to and align with it
- Applying modern product management practices to solve customer problems and realize commercial value
- Addressing customer needs through innovative use of technology
- Making evidence-based decisions using a range of metrics to monitor the success and health of products and services
- Stakeholder management - building meaningful, collaborative relationships across all levels of the business
- Creating clarity for a team — with an organized work style that is structured, rigorous and consistent.