Product Manager Analyst at IHS Markit Digital
*This role can be based on Houston or the Denver Area*
An exciting opportunity has opened up for a high-performing, critical-thinking, intellectually-curious, and creative Product Management Analyst to join the Oil Markets, Midstream, Downstream and Chemicals (OMDC) group – a major portion of the Energy & Natural Resources (ENR) business line of IHS Markit.
OMDC brings together unrivalled expertise in oil markets, refined products, and chemicals to provide information and insight products that critically inform the strategic investment and operational decisions made by both industry and the financial sector. Our offerings include crucial price benchmarks, comprehensive asset databases, short and long-term market forecasts, analysis of industry dynamics and company strategies, and tools to enable comparison and benchmarking of operational efficiency and production.
Join an experienced product management team, taking ownership of key team initiatives and strategic projects with applications that span the full range of product management responsibilities. Work alongside members of the team, and engage with key partner constituencies – e.g. Customer Care, Sales, Marketing, and Research. Enhance product management skills and experience and deepen customer persona and industry domain knowledge. The position reports to the head of product management for OMDC, but will involve working with all members of the product management team on cross-cutting initiatives.
- Develop and maintain a solid understanding of OMDC industry trends, needs of prospective and current customers, and how customers use IHSM and competitor products in their workflows
- Analyse client usage data and other engagement metrics to identify opportunities to increase client engagement with IHSM products via training, content usage recommendations, and additional product uptake
- Engage with Research and Customer Care to design and implement client outreach efforts, analysing results and working to refine iteratively
- Analyze client purchase data, identifying relationships between client types and product groupings purchased, developing strategies for new-logo product mix pitches and in-fill product opportunities in the existing client base
- Analyze and interpret metrics regularly provided by the ENR Business Analytics team, summarizing, interpreting, and identifying key trends and instances of over and under performance versus expectations
- Collect, organize, assess, and maintain information on competitive companies and product offerings, working with product management team members to analyse comparative positioning
- Administer OMDC’s stage-gated new product assessment and launch process, advising on elements and procedure, coordinating agenda, meetings, and materials, communicating to the wider stakeholder audience
What we are looking for:
An experienced analyst with 2+ years of professional experience, who is keen to pursue a career in product management, and who wants to leverage their existing analytical skill set while deepening their product management capabilities and expertise. Experience with B2B data/information, industry analysis, and/or applied software products is highly desirable, as is domain knowledge in OMDC industry areas.
Examples of desirable previous career experience include:
- Developing and implementing solutions to address informational/analytical workflow needs in a business environment, whether in one’s own organization or in a consulting/service context
- Producing, maintaining, and/or providing client support and training for B2B industry analysis products
- Conducting market research in a B2B context – such as via interviews and survey - and interpreting results to recommend or drive business decisions
Strong candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- Domain knowledge in oil & gas, chemicals, or other capital-intensive resource industries, and/or a proven ability to quickly gain an applied understanding of a new industry area
- Experience in and enthusiasm for engaging with clients to understand customer workflows, identify unmet needs, and develop creative solutions to address them
- A proven ability to manage and make progress on multiple initiatives running in parallel, prioritizing and leveraging strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with an ability to distil and explain complicated concepts in clear and concise terms
- Experience in analysing large data sets, identifying relationships and creating summary metrics – ideally employing business intelligence software (e.g. Power BI, Tableau, Spotfire) to create tools/dashboards for large user groups to explore data sets
- Strong business acumen and analytical skills, with the ability to construct and evaluate different business model approaches to maximize ROI
- Enjoyment in being a team player who brings a sense of positive energy and an ability to influence, inspire, and motivate critical cross-functional partners across the organization