Pie Insurance is an insurtech company tackling meaningful problems. At Pie, we work with small businesses using technology and innovation to improve how they access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. So, at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us.
The Product Manager is responsible for the Profit & Loss in assigned product lines and territories. They have ownership over product design/pricing, regulatory compliance, and distribution along with a focus on quantitative analytics for measuring profitability. The role is responsible for measuring and monitoring how the business metrics are performing in a given timeframe and identifying trends- looking at product mix, quote and conversion level, claims frequency, as well as retention. The Product Manager is working closely with the technical product management team to build and improve systems to ensure a great customer/agent experience, as well as, allow for efficient and compliant operations. They will also be leading others in the commercial auto group to help leverage capabilities to make commercial lines successful.
Today, all Pie-oneers are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. As a remote team member, you will be expected to be available for meetings with team members in other time zones and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
We will consider this role for continued remote work once our offices reopen with some travel to our offices in Denver or DC.
How You'll Do It
- Oversight of Product & Pricing:
- Using ISO model tools and other industry resources to build a solid/compliant product foundation for commercial auto launch.
- Identifying short/medium/long term program enhancements such as inclusion of robust usage based (telematics) data for underwriting and pricing segmentation.
- Working with the pricing analyst to analyze competitive market (street) rates to structure Pie’s new lines.
- Using a systematic approach to automate the UW process.
- Research and identify new or underserved markets for growth opportunities.
- Analyzing expense structure and trends to ensure pricing is meeting the needs for various distribution channels.
- Ensuring the Commercial Lines products including forms, rules and rating plans meets the compliance guidelines of each state.
- Build automated compliance systems to remove the manual process.
- Working with internal and external partners to file new programs with individual states- ongoing process.
- Developing Product Tools for New Lines:
- Working with the engineering product team to build foundational elements for Commercial Auto Line into Pie’s systems.
- Take traditional product and pricing models and innovate them into a marketable and successful product utilizing telematics and other 3rd party data.
- Building out a new policy management system alongside the Engineering Product team to create customer centric systems and other tools that meet the business needs.
- Manage and implement approved rate/rule/form changes in policy management system, utilizing automation and other scalable process tools.
The Right Stuff
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required, Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Background in mathematics, statistics, economics or other quantitative major field of study is highly desirable.
- 3+ years of experience in a Product role in a Commercial Insurance Industry + Masters Degree OR
- 5+ years of experience in a Product role or related field in a Commercial Insurance Industry in lieu of Masters Degree
- Advanced knowledge in Commercial Insurance product development and underwriting.
- Prior profit and loss experience is highly desirable.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Advanced capabilities in managing and manipulating data in Excel, and proficient in SQL / Snowflake preferred.
- Ability to make decisions and drive results in a fast-paced high-growth environment.
- Effectively identify trends and patterns within data sets.
- Effective organization and time management skills with the ability to work in ambiguous environments, while adhering to project deadlines.
- Ability to creatively solve problems and overcome regulatory roadblocks.
- Knowledge of Commercial Insurance regulatory compliance.
- Strong knowledge of different types of distribution channels (Direct to consumer, , independent agents/brokers, aggregators/partners/etc) including process dynamics and economic metrics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build rapport and relationships with individuals at all levels across the organization, as well as, outside parties (vendors/regulators/agents/etc.).
- Competitive salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
- Generous parental leave
Compensation & Benefits
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie. That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $110,000 - $142,000
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding