Fiber Network Inventory Specialist at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, and dedicated Internet access. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
The Fiber Network Inventory Specialist (FNIS) will report to the Fiber Planning, Architecture & Technology organization under a specific team within the Network Data Integrity department. This team’s responsibilities involve building new network into our fiber inventory systems, recovering missing fiber network, and improving data quality overall for our fiber plant records. This team is critical to the front line of our network data quality, specifically by adhering to our standards and nomenclature which support our customer service platform and GIS analysis tools. The position will also involve various efforts in alignment with fiber engineering and operations teams, and the overall integrity of our fiber network infrastructure.
- Recover and interpret civil engineering prints (asbuilts) to manually build new construction details and fiber assets into GIS inventory systems, specifically GE Smallworld.
- Assists with data cleanup and QC in fiber inventory systems.
- Manages Zayo network inventory through database tracking of fiber optic cable, conduit, building data, and more.
- Organizes and tracks all tasks and dependencies, and reports on missing or inaccurate data.
- Provides support to fiber engineering and outside plant construction teams as needed.
- Works alongside fiber network and GIS analyst teams to ensure data accuracy.
- Assists in areas of design and development to improve network integrity and support fiber engineering projects.
QUALIFICATIONS & ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Well qualified candidate will have proven aptitude to prioritize tasks and timelines while cross functioning in a fast-paced environment independently.
- Degree or background in engineering a plus; Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, GIS, Telecom, and/or related major.
- Interest in telecommunications and fiber optics.
- Possesses strong organizational and communicative skills, both oral and written.
- Qualified candidates are extremely detail oriented and understand importance of data quality.
- This is not a data entry position; must be a creative thinker with strong problem solving abilities.
- Proven teamwork success and team leadership abilities are preferred.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while being a constructive contributor to a team.
- Supports company objectives and takes initiative to accomplish goals.
- Proficiency in MS Office and Adobe; in particular MS Visio and MS Excel.
- GIS and Google Earth experience a plus.
- Prior experience with GE Smallworld or other fiber inventory system preferred.
PROJECT OUTCOMES & REWARDS
- Gain industry experience, an education in telecom, and an understanding of Zayo’s foundational role in broadband
- Gain knowledge in processes surrounding fiber engineering and outside plant construction
- Strengthen critical thinking, problem solving, and communication skills
- Gain an expertise understanding of Salesforce, Zayo’s main sales and communication tool
- Exposure to a variety of networking opportunities
- Potential for contracted work to be hired on as a full-time salaried Zayo employee. Successful contractor candidates will be strongly considered for any internal openings in Fiber Engineering or related positions.
- Competitive compensation
- Base salary range: $45,000-$49,500
- Full-time Zayo employees are also eligible for discretionary quarterly short-term and long-term incentive cash bonuses which are based on the performance of the Company, an employee’s business segment, and the individual employee
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time