Chief Product Officer (Greater Denver Area, CO)
DAT is an award-winning employer of choice and a next-generation SaaS technology company that has been at the leading edge of innovation in transportation supply chain logistics for 44 years. We continue to transform the industry year over year, by deploying a suite of software solutions to millions of customers every day - customers who depend on DAT for the most relevant data and most accurate insights to help them make smarter business decisions and run their companies more profitably. We operate the largest marketplace of its kind in North America, with 227 million freight posts in 2021, and a database of $126 billion of annual global shipment market transaction data. DAT is headquartered in Denver, CO. We have a second campus in the Portland, OR area, where we got our start four decades ago, and we have additional offices in Springfield, MO and Bangalore, India. For additional information, see www.DAT.com/company.
DAT is a next-generation SaaS technology company that has been at the leading edge of innovation in transportation supply chain logistics for 44 years. We continue to transform the industry year over year, by deploying a suite of software solutions to millions of customers every day - customers who depend on DAT for the most relevant data and most accurate insights to help them make smarter business decisions and run their companies more profitably.
We operate the largest marketplace of its kind in North America, with 227 million freight posts in 2021, and a database of $126 billion of annual global shipment market transaction data. We are headquartered in Denver, CO with additional offices in Oregon, Missouri and Bangalore, India. For additional information, see www.DAT.com/company.
DAT Solutions delivers a variety of software solutions from mobile apps used by truck drivers to CRM systems that run multinational third party logistics providers. Product lines include load boards, freight rates, transportation management software, carrier monitoring and onboarding, truck and trailer tracking, and a comprehensive directory of companies with business history, credit, safety, insurance and company reviews. The development organization works in agile teams focused on delivering user-inspired, effective and efficient solutions that are broadly scalable and built for high volume transactions and real time interaction.
DAT Solutions, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Roper Industries, a diversified growth company and constituent of the S&P 500, Fortune 1000 and Russell 1000 indices.
The Chief Product Officer will oversee every element of our Product portfolio from concept to post-launch performance. The right leader for this role will have a proven background scaling existing and novel solutions that exceed revenue and growth goals. They will bring an inspiring, progressive style and possess a keen knack for articulating compelling product strategy that resonates internally and delivers on the needs of our customers. As CPO, you will lead DAT’s highly capable and motivated Product, UX/UI, and Analytics team’s continued disruption of the freight & analytics vertical with innovative solutions that are ahead of the curve.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Accountable for growing revenue, building our brand, and operational efficiency; create roadmaps and implementation plans to execute.
- Drive the product strategy and planning process to provide focus and alignment on critical strategies; engage stakeholders to align on clear, actionable plan to deliver optimal results for customers and the business. This will require a deep understanding of tools and techniques for strategic planning, and direct experience in facilitating ongoing strategies.
- Analyze existing technologies, new technologies, market developments and competition to identify and prioritize product market opportunities.
- Collaborate with Sales and Marketing to determine strategies for product positioning, pricing, advertising and collateral development.
- Collaborate with Technology to prioritize resource allocations and development priorities.
- Be an active participant in the Broker, Shipper and Carrier community to monitor trends and identify opportunities.
- Oversee and/or lead product focus groups and user conference sessions; participate in speaking engagements on general industry topics and promotion of company products.
- Promote solution strategy and communicate product information throughout the company and to the press, industry analysts, partners and customers with passion and conviction.
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities for Product and Project Management processes.
- Establish targets for, and track key performance indicators for operational metrics, product use and profitability
- Take a leadership role in the development of budgets; scheduling expenditures, analyzing and explaining variances and initiating corrective action to control costs.
- Actively and effectively lead management team meetings representing short, mid-range and long term product/service vision. Assure company maintains a comprehensive roadmap that includes prioritizing releases and development resources.
- Directly supervises 6 management staff; 60 total team.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Promote a culture of teamwork, innovation and risk taking within the organization.
- Inspire Product and Project Managers to consistently incorporate company vision, mission, values and goals in the assessment of customer needs, initiation of product applications; evaluating market trends, and technological developments.
- Recruit and mentor world class Product and Project management organization and team.
- Motivate the team through proactive performance management, clear accountability and on-going measurement against goals.
- Build a high functioning team by employing top notch talent, emphasizing the career development of staff, and training critical skills.
- Provide leadership that engages all staff, including the clear establishment of performance expectations coaching, performance management, career development, reward and recognition, hiring and high employee engagement.
Professional Experience Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires 15+ years progressively responsible management experience in a mix of Product Management, Product/Market Strategy, or related field
- Experience managing cross functional team across multiple products simultaneously
- Direct experience with SaaS (or cloud based) B2B services required; subscription services and/or two-sided network experience preferred
- Experience leading the development of SaaS products, including the development of business cases, roadmaps, schedules, budgets and success measures
- Experience creating new, innovating and successful products based on deep market understanding and successful analysis
The below categories represent general skill sets that are required by this position. The level of proficiency & priority required by this position are defined by the following scales.
- Expert in program management execution, results driven, and accountable for outcome.
- Must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy; a big-picture vision, and a bias towards action that transforms vision into reality.
- Inspirational leader; leads by example and with integrity, drives employee commitment through actions, empowers employees to actualize full potential.
- Exceptional quantitative analysis skills (data interpretation, business model building, results tracking); able to analyze data to create actionable recommendations.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels and functions of the organization and establish and maintain strong relationships with all stakeholders.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Technology or related field required; MBA preferred.
Create the New and Different
Proven capacity to develop novel, breakthrough solutions; is creative, a visionary, and a foster of innovation; is an effective strategist full of ideas and possibilities; sees multiple futures; has broad interests and knowledge; can both create and bring exciting ideas to market; comfortable speculating about alternative futures without all of the data.
Is skilled at getting individuals, teams, and an entire organization to perform at a higher level and to embrace change; negotiates skillfully to achieve a fair outcome or promote a common cause; communicates a compelling vision and is committed to what needs to be done; inspires others; builds motivated, high-performing teams; understands what motivates different people.
Focus on Outcomes
Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
Be an Expert
Knows the business and industry at a SME level; remains current on emerging industry trends, market conditions and understands their impact to DAT.
Make Complex Decisions
Can solve even the toughest and most complex of problems; great at gleaning meaning from whatever data is available; adds personal wisdom and experience to come to the best conclusion and solution, given the situation; uses multiple problem-solving tools and techniques.
Can quickly separate the mission-critical from the nice to dos and the trivials; quickly prioritizes the most useful thing to work on; focuses on the critical few tasks that really add value and puts aside or delays the rest.
Optimal Allocation of Resources
Deploy teams and resources with efficiency and impact; can diagnose strengths, weaknesses, and potential; knows what skills are required to fill a job or role; builds the best team.
In compliance with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the minimum salary for this role is $250,000.00 + benefits. The maximum compensation for this role can vary significantly depending on your job-related skills and experience. DAT considers factors such as scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education and training, core skills, internal equity, and market and business elements when extending an offer.
DAT embraces the value of a diverse workforce, and believes it is a core strength of our company that we encourage those values in every DAT employee, at every level of our organization, regardless of tenure or rank. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)