Windows Systems Administrator
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
The Windows System Administrator (WSA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, and partners.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the initiation and planning phases of our standard project management methodology. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing, and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
This individual is accountable for the following systems: All Windows based systems and applications that support that enterprise from a corporate perspective. Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance, and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
The scope and responsibility of this role is in three main areas, specifically:
Engineering and Provisioning
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Develop, document, and maintain installation and configuration procedures for various Windows based software platforms.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
Operations and Support
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Provide technical support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies and team members.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis. Upgrade administrative tools and utilities as needed. Configure/add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports corporate infrastructure applications or asset management/monitoring applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Bachelors’ degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science preferred. Equivalent experience may satisfy this requirement.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE), Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP), Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012 R2, and/or Windows Server 2016 certification encouraged.
- 2 years of system administration experience, preferably in an enterprise environment.
- Working knowledge of SQL technologies, including clustering and best practices.
- Working knowledge of VMware clustered technologies.
- Knowledge of Windows Active Directory with experience maintaining multi-domain/forest environments.
- Ability to perform Active Directory functions, including DNS, DHCP, and ADDS configuration tasks.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice. This includes participation in a weekly on-call rotation.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.