VP, Long Haul Implementation - West at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, dedicated Internet access, and colocation services. Zayo owns and operates a Tier 1 IP Backbone and 44 carrier-neutral data centers. Through its Cloudlink service, Zayo provides low latency private connectivity that attaches enterprises to their public cloud environments. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
The VP/Director, Long Haul Implementation – West is responsible for development, planning, engineering, construction and delivery of new and overbuild long haul routes in the western portion of the US and Canada utilizing a small but effective team of project managers.
The VP/Director, Long Haul Implementation – West reports directly to the VP, Long Haul Implementation, leads a small team of project managers (scaling as required) as well as a larger virtual team of project stakeholders.
- Support the regional and national business development and product teams to identify, qualify and creatively solve new long haul route opportunities.
- Critically assess and qualify route requirements (routing, fiber counts, hut spacing, etc.) to ensure route objectives are clearly defined and meet stakeholder requirements.
- Complete route feasibility planning to appropriately de-risk project scope, schedule and budget.
- Identify and negotiate third party partner build and asset acquisition opportunities to complement our construction plans.
- Develop and refine project cost estimates to develop a baseline budget. Manage budgets and accurate spend forecasts throughout project execution. Proactively mitigate risks to stay within budget constraints.
- Build the project milestone-level project schedule and accurately maintain throughout the course of the project.
- Proactively identify and mitigate project risks and develop contingency plans.
- Act as an escalation point for significant project issues and drive issues to closure.
- Take lead on complex regulatory/permitting issues such as NEPA, CPUC, Tribal Lands, etc.
- Conduct construction resource planning to ensure project objectives are met.
- Develop RFPs for the engineering and construction of the route. Manage the RFP process and negotiate with bidders to ensure the lowest qualified awards are made. Diligently manage the contract terms throughout the life of each contract.
- Provide project-level and executive project reporting including regular updates to our key customers.
- Ensure routes are delivered on time, on budget and as per construction standards.
- Deliver project as-builts to the support teams in a timely manner to ensure route is protected and properly captured in inventory systems.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the OSP teams within the regions to ensure alignment between long haul projects and local objectives.
- Serve as a mentor to direct reports to help them develop into Zayo leaders.
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in Engineering or other related technical field, or equivalent work experience. Business degree/acumen a plus.
- 10+ years OSP construction management experience, preferably with specific long haul construction experience.
- 10+ years of relevant experience managing engineering, planning and operations teams for wireline or wireless carriers.
- Proven ability to manage large, complex technical projects and associated budgets.
- Specific experience in complex permitting situations including NEPA, Section 106, Tribal, etc.
- Working knowledge off construction standard, fiber specifications and optical network design principles.
- Strong understanding of the current carrier network landscape in the western US/Canada a plus
- Demonstrated exceptional problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate technical topics clearly and effectively with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to manage and effectively prioritize multiple projects simultaneously in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave