Vice President, Space Systems
- About the Space Systems team
The Space Systems engineering team is dedicated to providing the greatest value and benefit to DigitalGlobe by managing the procurement of our future remote-sensing satellites. The team manages the spacecraft, instrument and launch vehicle programs from concept through launch, and actively participates in the development of requirements for each program, informed by ongoing surveys of industry technical capabilities. The WorldView systems to date are the premier high-resolution remote sensing space platforms in the commercial industry. Come be a part of the Space Systems team as we execute the design and build of our next generation of world-class satellites, WorldView Legion.
Summary of the role
The Vice President of the Space Systems team is a visionary, forward-thinking leader responsible for providing thought-leadership on future constellations, collaboration across business units, and the execution authority for all satellite procurement programs. Strategic level activities include: Migrating long-term business requirements into satellite requirements; developing long term budgets, schedules, and risk assessments; constantly balancing program risk (cost, schedule, performance); ensuring satellite performance matches the corporate strategy and business model; procuring launch services; and advising DigitalGlobe executives of program performance.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Migrates business requirements into satellite requirements. Leads the team in development of Request For Proposals including Statements of Work and Satellite Requirements.
- Leads an engineering staff of 20+ including coaching, mentoring, succession planning and performance management.
- Develops independent cost and schedule estimates. Supports Long Range Planning and Risk Assessment at the business level.
- Negotiates Satellite and Launch Vehicle procurement contracts with support from Finance and Legal.
- Leads the Space Systems team through the entire procurement/development process constantly balancing program risk (cost, schedule, performance). Must excel at resolving complex, technical design, manufacturing, test and operational problems, and driving the team to a decision.
- Working with the Legal Dept, supports all government licensing efforts including the NOAA, FCC, and NSA. Directs the execution of analyses and conops required to support the licenses.
- Coordinates all development activities with the Satellite Operations Group and Ground System Development. Develops overall mission conops and defines space-to-ground interfaces.
- Supports procurement of satellite launch and on-orbit insurance. Leads the team to develop technical briefings for underwriters and informs underwriters of development challenges and risks.
- Partners closely with Export Compliance to ensure all satellite procurement, launch, and insurance activities follow U.S. law, especially regarding ITAR and EAR regulations.
- Manages the department budget and is accountable for variances in the expenditures.
- Monitors competitors and technology advances for emerging threats and opportunities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or physics.
- Minimum of 20 years of progressive responsibility in satellite design, manufacturing, test, and launch; including at least 5 years leading a team responsible for development and launch of a new satellite design.
- Knowledge of both common satellite development processes and new technologies and how they might be leveraged in future constellations.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant legal and regulatory requirements, such International Traffic in Arms (ITAR) regulations, FCC licensing process, and NSA licensing process.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to communicate mission performance, satellite performance, and risk-related concepts to technical and nontechnical audiences.
- High level of personal integrity, as well as the ability to professionally handle confidential matters, and show an appropriate level of judgment and maturity in high-pressure, high-stress situations.
- Exhibit excellent analytical skills, the ability to manage multiple projects under strict timelines, as well as the ability to work well in a demanding, dynamic environment and meet overall objectives.
- Innovative thinking and leadership.
- Experience in leading a small, high performance technical team. Demonstrated competency in hiring, coaching and mentorship to enable each member of this team to grow professionally.
- Ability to lead and motivate cross-functional, interdisciplinary teams to achieve tactical and strategic goals.
- Experience with contract and vendor negotiations and management.
- Possession or ability to receive a US Government security clearance at the TS/SCI level.
- As such, the position requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Advanced degree in engineering or business management
- Current SSBI desirable.
DigitalGlobe offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401(K) plan with competitive company match; paid holidays and paid time off.