Vice President of Academic Operations at Guild Education (Greater Denver Area, CO)
Guild wants to increase economic mobility for working adults in America, providing education and support to help every student survive and thrive in the economy of tomorrow. Our education benefits platform helps employers offer education as a benefit to their employees, and our network of nonprofit universities and education institutions provide every Guild student with the right academic pathway to advance their education and career. In order to achieve our mission to serve more students and accelerate our growth, we recently raised a $21M Series B round with top tier investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures, Social Capital, Harrison Metal, and Cowboy Ventures.
The VP of Academic Operations will lead a business-critical team that manages a portfolio of university partners and will take the lead on operational management of these partnerships. We are looking for a committed business unit leader with excellent management skills and enthusiasm for increasing student enrollment. It’s an opportunity to lead a team that will create, innovate and test new ideas to strengthen our partnerships and ensure we scale efficiently and quickly together. This leader needs to navigate business and university partner (UP) operations within Guild and our network. Operational and financial expertise (e.g. P&L management) is required along with an understanding of how to effectively manage public/private partnerships.
On any given day in our collaborative workspace you might:
- Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures for successful operational management of our various university and academic partnerships
- Plan launch strategies for future university partners and/or programs with existing university partners
- Cultivate personal relationships with University Provosts, CFOs, COOs and Operational VPs
- Work with Guild engineers to simplify processes such as billing, financial aid and data integrations
- Analyze data and progress towards goals for each university partnership
- Work directly with leaders of our enrollment and student services team
- Problem-solve key issues and evaluate partnership performance with the UP team
- Develop systems to support partnerships with providers like edX, Straighter Line, Penn Foster, Cengage and other bootcamp and alternative learning providers
- Support tech integrations of Guild tech platforms, both our own technology and platforms like Salesforce, with our university partners to exchange applications, student data, and billing information
In this role, you’ll bring skills and expand your expertise by:
- Managing operations for a public/private network with equal parts vision and managerial expertise
- Serving in a highly cross-functional, business critical role where you’ll have visibility, access and exposure to key decisions and the people making them
- Being the external face of Guild for operational issues facing university and academic partners
- Bringing program management expertise onto the team while prototyping, testing and iterating new and innovative strategies
- Managing partnership financial operations
You’ll know if you’re successful when:
- Guild university partnerships have met their student success and enrollment goals
- The UP team achieves established OKRs for enrollment and retention metrics and receives high NPS scores from our university and academic partners
- Guild is viewed as a true partner - not a vendor - by our university partners….when university COOs, CFOs and SVPs ask for your endorsement
- You receive feedback and direction provided in our learning-focused twice annual Structured Growth Conversations
You’ll join a team:
- Of experts with experience managing partnerships in government, higher education and private sector partnerships
- Of learners & problem-solvers dedicated to our dual mission of changing education in America while building a successful, high-growth company.
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment that you’d support every day
What you’ll bring to Guild - as an individual and part of the broader team:
- Passion for higher education, student success and our mission
- Expertise in managing public and private partnerships, with particular focus on billing and student data exchange
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Experience using analytical approaches to develop, measure and evolve processes
- Servant leadership to a high performing team of university partnership professionals
- An understanding of diverse project management principles, processes, methodologies and tools paired with an ability to critically evaluate and implement the right options for each project
- Ability to successfully manage multiple complex, cross-functional projects at the same time
- Ability to develop strong relationships and communicate effectively while under pressure - balancing confidence, humility and diplomacy internally and externally
- Evidence of your intellectual curiosity in the space - do you blog, tweet, speak or read everything that’s out there - tell us more!
- A drive to work hard and a plan for how you can refresh and recharge while working in a startup
- Something else? Wonderful, we’re curious to learn more about you!