Underwriting Associate at Pie Insurance
| Greater Denver Area | Remote
Sorry, this job was removed at 5:22 a.m. (MST) on Wednesday, October 6, 2021
Pie Insurance is an insurtech company tackling meaningful problems. At Pie, we work with small businesses using technology and innovation to improve how they access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. So, at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us.
Today, all Pie-oneers are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. As a remote team member, you will be expected to be available for meetings with team members in other time zones and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
This role will work in our Denver or DC office once our office re-opens. However, we will consider this role for continued remote work in the United States once our offices reopen with up to 10% travel to Denver and/or DC.
How You’ll Do It
Working at Pie Insurance as an Underwriting Associate requires adapting your skills and experience to a cutting edge, data-driven approach to risk management. Our data-centric approach to underwriting is unparalleled, and we are disrupting the small business insurance market, one customer at a time. Our Underwriting Associates are on the front lines, interacting with our Underwriters and Partners all day, every day. The Underwriting Associate is responsible for reviewing and analyzing new business submissions, including revisions to existing quotes and binding policies being purchased. This role plays a part in building the Underwriting team’s robust portfolio by analyzing risk to confirm it is within our underwriting appetite and the scope of authority.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Process submissions that come from numerous channels and capture data in systems of record.
- Gather, consolidate, and input information from 3rd party services and partners.
- Conduct risk and exposure research around the types of activities employees are working on (businesses that have been submitted to Pie).
- Send out requests for additional information, quotes, and assist in communication between Underwriters, Agency Partners, and our Inside Sales team.
- Systems and tools you’ll use include but are not limited to: Salesforce, Slack, Insurity, our rating & issuance platform, and Microsoft Excel.
- Leverage workers’ compensation underwriting expertise to assess risks to underwrite coverage.
- Maintain strong industry knowledge on WC underwriting expertise and changes in market/account positions. Develop and maintain full knowledge of all forms, coverages, ratings, and manuals for the specific line being underwritten.
- Quickly and effectively decision requests through the use of Pie’s underwriting guidelines and known risk exposures and loss frequency and severity.
The Right Stuff
- A high school degree or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- A minimum of one year of experience with commercial lines preferred, workers’ compensation or other P&C lines preferred, or relevant work experience
- Desire to improve how insurance operates in a technology driven environment
- Ability to produce quality work while managing a high-volume workload
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to context switch when working in a multi-state book of business
- Demonstrated ability to send accurate and timely information to internal teams and external partners which directly enhances and elevates the customer experience
- Experience verifying businesses using a variety of web-based research tools, like OSHA and SAFER, is preferred
- Knowledge of web-based and cloud platforms is required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills is required
- Experience communicating in internal chat platforms, like Slack or Teams, preferred
- Ability to quickly adapt to changes in work processes and systems
- Competitive Salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous Vacation
- 7 days of paid sick leave
- Commuter Allowance
- 401k Match
- Modern office space with onsite gym
- Monthly Happy Hours
- Generous Parental Leave
Compensation & Benefits
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie. That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges. We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $45,000 - $60,000
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding