We are an insurtech company where smart people can see the impact of their work as we tackle meaningful problems together. We think it’s fun to disrupt an industry that has been slow to change. But we aren’t shaking things up for the sake of change, we’re here to solve big problems using technology and an innovative approach to improve how small business owners access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs, so at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us. We hire passionate people who like to work hard, yet we also know that life exists outside the office. Small businesses are the backbone of the economy; talented team members are the backbone of Pie. We are pie-oneering a whole new approach to insurance.
How You’ll Do It
Working at Pie Insurance as an Underwriting Associate requires adapting your skills and experience to a cutting edge, data-driven approach to risk management. Our data-centric approach to underwriting is unparalleled, and we are disrupting the small business insurance market, one customer at a time.
As we grow and scale our young business, our team is evolving our underwriting guidelines and processes, finding and achieving new efficiencies every day. This evolution demands flexibility in our thinking and a constant, pragmatic refinement in how we interact with our customers and evaluate their businesses. To be successful in this role, we balance a service orientation with a closing mentality, evaluating the risk of our customers’ businesses while building a robust portfolio.
Our Underwriting Associates are on the front lines, interacting with our Underwriters and Partners all day, every day. Every underwriting call, email and message has a profound impact on our business and our reputation.
This person will report to our Underwriting Associate Team Lead.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Process submissions that come from numerous channels and capture data in systems of record.
- Gather, consolidate, and input information from 3rd party services and partners.
- Conduct risk and exposure research around the types of activities employees are working on (businesses that have been submitted to Pie).
- Send out requests for additional information, quotes, and assist in communication between Underwriters and Partners.
- Your role is mission critical and allows the Underwriter to analyze and serve our customers with speed and precision.
- Systems and tools you’ll use include but are not limited to: HubSpot, Salesforce, Insurity, our native platform, and Microsoft Excel.
- Additional responsibilities could include underwriting renewal policies. What does this look like?
- Leverage workers’ compensation underwriting expertise to assess risks to underwrite renewal coverage.
- Maintain strong industry knowledge on WC underwriting expertise and changes in market/account positions. Develop and maintain full knowledge of all forms, coverages, ratings, and manuals for the specific line being underwritten.
- Quickly and effectively decision each renewal request through the use of Pie’s underwriting guidelines and known risk exposures and loss frequency and severity.
- Our Underwriting Associate will work out of our Denver, CO, location in the LODO district.
The Right Stuff
- Execution. Ability to balance the outstanding execution of processes while handling a high volume of requests.
- Communication. Sending accurate and timely information to the Underwriter and Partners which directly enhances and elevates the customer experience.
- Customer Research. You’ll also be verifying businesses using Google, Yelp, LinkedIn, Facebook and similar sites, so comfort navigating those is required.
- Tech Savvy. You’ll constantly use Insurity, HubSpot, Outlook, and possibly also Salesforce, so prior experience with those systems would be helpful.
- Experience. Prior experience with workers’ compensation or other P&C lines preferred but not required.
- Education. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Competitive salary
• A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
• Comprehensive health plans
• Generous vacation time
• Paid sick leave
• Commuting Allowance
• Future focused 401k match
• Modern office space with onsite gym
• Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and
recognized with our monthly culture award.
• Generous parental leave
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding