Tier III Optical Technician at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, dedicated Internet access, and colocation services. Zayo owns and operates a Tier 1 IP Backbone and 44 carrier-neutral data centers. Through its Cloudlink service, Zayo provides low latency private connectivity that attaches enterprises to their public cloud environments. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
The Tier III Optical Technician will be responsible for the deployment and implementation of all new network builds and network augments, across multiple platforms. This qualified individual will be considered a subject matter expert, and will remotely implement and commission new network equipment as well as verify proper commissioning on existing network equipment. The Tier III Optical Technician will provide advanced technical support of the network and provide in-depth analysis of critical network issues on all platforms as required. This role is expected to mentor and train less experienced technicians.
- Provision new equipment to include “greenfield” route builds, and network augments.
- Install equipment required to install and test new services including SONET SDH, Fiber Channel GbE, and others.
- Communicate with internal and external customers, as well as assist other technicians with troubleshooting and technical questions regarding circuit operation and installation.
- Communicate with internal and external customers to solve complex network issues.
- Maintain and follow documented guidelines for upgrading, implementing, and removing facilities within a transport network.
- Partner with the other teams within the Network Control Center (NCC) to monitor the proper operation of network equipment 24X7.
- Minimal travel required (less than 10%)
- Minimum 5 years telecommunications experience with a deep understanding of SONET, SDH, and DWDM Networks. NOC environment experience favorable.
- Fundamental understanding of all protocols provisioned (GbE, SONET, Fiber Channel, and others)
- Knowledge of equipment commissioning and provisioning across multiple platforms.
- Expertise with the following vendor equipment:
- Fuji (7420, 7120, 4500, 4100)
- Infinera (DTNX, DTC,ATC, MTC, TNX)
- Ciena (6500, 5200, 4200, 3500, CPL)
- Ciena (formerly Cyan) (Z77,Z33,Z22)
- Cisco (15600,15454,15310)
- Nokia 1830
- Familiarity with the following systems preferable:
- Strong interpersonal skills to support management, negotiation, and problem-solving functions of this role.
- Excellent judgment and discretion; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously and meet deadlines in high pressure scenarios.
- Must be able to work independently and productively with minimal supervision.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave