About the position
As an integral member of our Denver-based Enterprise Operations Team, the Tier I Technician resolves technical customer issues ranging from routine to complex within the IntelePeer VoIP network; performs Inter-Operations testing with Enterprise customers; reviews hourly and daily reporting activities on multiple network elements/services and takes immediate action, if necessary; and coordinates event management to restoration of service.
REPORTS TO: Manager, Tier I Operations
- Demonstrate and apply detailed knowledge of SIP messaging.
- Work with customers to troubleshoot and resolve call quality issues.
- Act as an interface between customer and carrier to facilitate repairs for all voice and circuit-related issues.
- Utilize Soft Switch, Accounting, Debug and, Syslogs, and other tools to troubleshoot and isolate issues.
- Monitor and react to alarms and service-impacting notifications.
- Monitor and restore any call quality-related issues, including busies, breaks in service, etc.
- Isolate capacity-related issues and engage the proper groups to remedy the issue.
- Work with the Tier 2 Team to rapidly restore and maintain the network.
- Continuously identify and communicate to management ways to improve ASR and low call duration rates.
- Assist/recommend the development of automation agents utilized to improve the group’s efficiency and monitoring capabilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree or verifiable experience
- Communications, Computer Science, Networking or similar technical field highly preferred
Expertise & experience
- Extensive experience in a telecommunications NOC environment
- Detailed networking protocol analysis and writing
- SIP, SoftSwitch, IP, UNIX, OSPF, VoIP, IVMS, ticketing process, and procedures
- Local and Toll-Free number origination
- Unified Communications Systems (MS OCS 2007/Lync 2010/Lync 2013, Cisco IME/Call Manager)
- Use of network monitoring equipment such as Sonus EMS, Empirix Hammer, Wireshark, SmokePing, and Unix monitoring scripts
- Working knowledge of IP routing
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio & Outlook
- Strong organizational, prioritization, and documentation skills
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly to customers over the phone
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Continuous improvement attitude
- Quality-, customer service-, and continuous improvement-driven to consistently delight internal and external customers
- Team player who is willing to go above and beyond to help others
- Self-motivated, proactive, and resourceful
- Positive, professional attitude and ability to interact effectively with Customer and Vendor representative, establish and maintain effective working relationships in cross-functional and team environment
- Reacts quickly and adapts to changes in priorities, circumstances, and direction
- Effectively multi-tasks and manages multiple projects concurrently in a time-sensitive work environment.
- Must be willing and able to be flexible for shift work, including weekends and nights