Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Technician IV - Test
What You’ll Do:
- Conduct and support performance and functional tests on flight hardware, electronic boards, boxes, antennas, assemblies, sub systems, and flight products, during all phases of the hardware evolution process.
- Execute specific step by step test procedures to record & verify test data results and report out of tolerance conditions.
- Perform and assist in functional tests on, as well as monitor environmental testing parameters during Thermal Vacuum, Vibration, EMI, and Acoustics testing.
- Provide direct technical support to a team during various (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) shift operations, as well as provide technical support during extended working hours, weekends, and holidays to meet critical schedules.
- Work in a development and production setting, where you will fabricate and build cables & wire harnesses, for Ground Support Equipment, and provide wiring harness installation on chassis frames and system test consoles derived from drawings and build documents.
- Provide technical support towards electrical, electro-mechanical, cryogenics, and electro-optical test set-ups.
- Respond quickly to immediate tasks in their area of functional disciplines and develop cross functional skills.
- Troubleshoot problems associated with the functionality or design of the products.
- Perform ring-out and certification tests of the products used in the work centers.
- Deliver work with a keen attention to cost and schedule and a consideration for the re-use and producibility.
- Required to work effectively in a team environment, referring questions and problems to area Lead or Supervisor.
- Support IRAD development of RF antenna assemblies and sub-assemblies to administer proof of concept protocols. Some IRAD work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by formal review of each task.
- Document and record specialized test set-up configurations, in order to replicate consistent and repeatable test results.
- Apply touch labor skills in association with RF test facilities, RF chambers, and associated RF equipment, & tooling.
- Work with mechanical tooling, jigs, and fixtures to fabricate and construct a test set-up configurations.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- High School diploma or equivalent and 8 or more years of related experience is required, or a two-year technical degree with 6 or more years of experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Aerospace, spacecraft, instrument, sub-assembly, experience is very beneficial.
- Environmental testing experience e.g., Vibration, Thermal Vacuum, EMI, Acoustic is very beneficial.
- Enhanced performance skills in various flight component test operations, is desired.
- Will need an electronic background or related degree to effectively support electronic test operations.
- Must be versatile and contributes well to high-energy team environments.
- Ability to independently operate Frequency analyzers, Spectrum analyzers, and O-scopes, Power supplies, Multi-Meters, and Data acquisition monitoring devices.
- Ability to interpret electrical & mechanical drawings, specifications, notes, and wire lists.
- An ability to be trained to obtain specialized certifications required, to perform the assembly and fabrication operations. (Clean room, ESD, FOD, Crane, Solder, Splicing, Crimping, J-STD, IPC-610/620)
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to exercise them in a technical environment.
- A good mechanical aptitude, with solid dexterity and hand/eye coordination to work with hand tools.
- Will be required to apply basic computer skills to input and access data via computer interface.
- Must be a self-starter, ambitious, and a conscientious individual with a very high attention to detail.
- Ability to list 50 pounds and work with heavy equipment, tooling and fixtures.
- Work is performed in an office, clean room, laboratory, manufacturing floor or machine shop environment.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $25.96 - $35.10 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.