Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Technician III – Test
The Technician III – Test will be responsible to perform operating and monitoring climatic and thermal vacuum chambers to support engineering development and production. Tasks may require application of both technical theory and practical knowledge in the testing of a wide variety of company products and systems. Tasks may include operating, maintaining and monitoring of complex mechanical, electrical and cryogenic test equipment. Specific role requirements include:
What You’ll Do:
- Operate and monitor climatic and thermal vacuum chambers per customer requirements processing aerospace production products and assemblies.
- Prepare and maintain required test logs, records, and reports in accordance with BATC policies and government regulations.
- Perform 6S tasks on a daily basis.
- Provide technical support for setting up tests in thermal vacuum chambers. Includes routing and connecting flexible tubing and mating electrical connections.
- Assist with maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing refrigeration, cryogenic, and thermal vacuum system equipment.
- Will be required to apply computer skills to access & input data via computer interface, automated equipment or test equipment. Will collect and analyze computer data.
- Maintain electronic build records, required data logs, records, and reports in accordance with BATC policies and procedures, and government regulations.
- Review and accurately interpret schematics, drawings, specifications, and procedures for completeness and compliance requirements.
- Assimilate diverse data and recommend action to address unique and complex technical situations.
- Provide instruction and training on specialized procedures and techniques to other employees and may develop processes and procedures essential to specific projects.
- Make continuous improvement suggestions, participate and in special projects.
- Demonstrate effective communication and regular interaction with higher level management, customers, and internal / external auditors.
- Coordinate and lead the work of lower level employees to assure task completion.
- Assist higher level technicians with assembling and wiring new or modifications to existing equipment.
- Implement EHS processes and procedures; recognize safety hazards, including hazardous materials, and pursue corrective action when necessary
- May make continuous improvement suggestions and participate in initiatives to improve productivity and process efficiency.
- Operate company owned vehicles as required.
- Maintain valid driver’s license and good motor vehicle record
- Will require some initial first shift operations for training and orientation. Must be willing to support a flexible second and/or third shift and weekend shift schedule.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 6 or more years of related experience or a related 2-year technical degree and 4 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Basic Mechanical, Electrical and/or Aerospace knowledge is required.
- Ability to understand vacuum and thermal testing equipment.
- Self-starter who can work independently, and / or with minimal supervision and a very high attention to detail.
- Capable of leading small projects.
- Ability to apply basic computer skills to input and access data via computer interface.
- Capable of performing simple mathematical calculations.
- Ability to read, comprehend and execute technical process specifications, procedures and standards.
- Able to lift 50 pounds and work with heavy equipment, tooling and fixtures.
- Flexibility with work schedule including weekend and shift work.
- Will be required to get company certifications to operate a forklift, overhead crane, ESD, fall protection, cleanroom, LOTO, FOD, confined space.
- Any environmental testing e.g. thermal cycle, vibration, EMC / EMI experience a plus.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $23.56 - $31.73 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.