Technical Specialist Senior - CMM Programmer at Ball Aerospace (Greater Denver Area, CO)
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Technical Specialist Senior – CMM Programmer
Are you an experienced mechanical inspector, with a strong background in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and you have been programming CMMs for 16 years or more? You may have been in different industries such as medical or automotive, or you may have even performed inspection/CMM programming activities without the inspector title such as an Applications Engineer. Do you have the passion to grow and share your craft in aerospace manufacturing? Do you want to amplify your scope of knowledge of mechanical inspection and materials that make technology operate and that support Space and National Defense products? If you answered yes, then this may be the aerospace inspection position for you!
In this position, you will utilize your extensive inspection experience of mechanical inspection, programming coordinate measurement machines (CMM) and/or optical CMMs, and abilities to do open setup measurement on all sorts of components and machined parts made from a variety of metals and plastics. You will quickly become proficient in Ball’s systems that plan and control manufacturing, part specifications, engineering drawings, and MRP/ERP.
What You’ll Do:
- Inspect mechanical material and articles for conformance to purchase order requirements, engineering drawings, and specifications using visual, mechanical and machine test methods.
- Verify received goods and internally produced machined items meet the requirements of process standards and specifications utilizing various mechanical inspection equipment, such as calipers, micrometers, thread gages, magnifiers, microscopes, and CMMs.
- Create and utilize programmable CMMs using PC-DMIS and/or Calypso software. You may teach others how to program and measure parts using the CMM.
- Interface with Design Engineering and other design functions to provide design for inspection analysis feedback.
- Utilize optical comparators and more advanced mechanical inspection tools and gages.
- Accept or reject material or articles and to identify and document anomalies and non-conformances.
- Create and maintain inspection records utilizing many different electronic information systems.
- Obtain and maintain all process certification required for assigned tasks.
- May design and/or manage Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA) controls of the inspection tools and specific products. May design / manage statistical process control (SPC) data collection, machine capabilities and data analysis.
- May participate in industry-wide working groups or seminars and be recognized by industry experts, suppliers, and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 16 years or more related experience or a related 2-year technical degree and 14 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Expert level of competency in the area of mechanical inspection and CMM Programming.
- Expert level in interpreting and utilizing Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) for inspection purposes.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to articulate technical issues and interface with engineering.
- Proficiency using Windows and common Microsoft Office applications.
- Good physical dexterity and coordination to safely handle parts, color vision/discrimination, and visual acuity and depth perception for inspection and CMM operations.
- Ability to use microscopes and magnifiers and handle very small parts.
- Ability to communicate effectively as well as frequently bend, stand, walk, and lift up to 40 pounds occasionally.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $38.70 - $52.64 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.