Please review the job details below.
Staff Systems Engineer to work in the Mission Control System Domain within the OASIS organization.
This team is responsible for defining and managing the development and deployment of the DigitalGlobe Mission Control System including: real-time command and control, data processing and distribution, data archiving, subsystem analysis tools, ground resource scheduling, and image meta-data systems. Successful Senior Staff Systems Engineer (SSE) candidates will have experience with spacecraft operations and large, complex systems, and are expected to leverage their experience to quickly learn all aspects of our ground systems from ordering, planning and tasking, raw telemetry data processing, core image processing, data management and discovery, and web/cloud hosting and distribution. SSE’s are responsible for owning DG Initiative capabilities, supporting definition of capability features, feature content and acceptance criteria, and providing technical leadership to subordinate SE’s who in turn provide technical support to scrum teams that keep mission development and implementation processes flowing.
- Lead the Agile Software Development Life Cycle process used to facilitate system baseline changes; taking ownership of Initiative capability deliverables expected from the customer organizations.
- Oversee the management of component/service-level requirements and trace-ability to design documentation, test cases, and operational training material.
- Work directly with feature owners, other systems engineers, program managers, developers, testers, and customers to define features and generate optimal system designs.
- Create system-level functional flows with an ability to frame all requirements inside those flows.
- Create draft flows and lead design sessions with component SMEs to create preliminary designs.
- Lead development of as-built models and design documents for software components to ensure all documentation is current.
- Continually learn about our evolving complex systems with particular focus on spacecraft to ground interfaces.
- Make contributions to the enterprise vision, engineering processes, and overall architecture roadmap.
- Lead design sessions with internal clients from back-end processing to user interfaces, with an emphasis on mission control and production segments within the ground systems.
- Manage client expectations to ensure realistic deliverables and then exceed those expectations.
- Lead troubleshooting of command and control telemetry system anomalies, may require directing the interpretation of hex dumps and scripting tools for team use.
- Coordinate team responses to large scale dynamic requests.
- Interface with spacecraft manufacturer for small satellite ground system build.
- Leads and participates in innovation exercises such as Hack-A-Thons, to determine optimal paths toward implementation of complex feature designs.
- Mentor other SEs and build rapport with other collaborators such as spacecraft engineers and component software developers.
- Has a complete understanding of the systems engineering domain and can mentor subordinate SE's.
- Experienced with Model-Based System Engineering practices, SysML, modeling system state transitions, data flows, etc., and working with Enterprise Architect or similar framework.
- Has extensive systems engineering and operations experience.
- At least five years experience in spacecraft or mission planning operations or related engineering.
- Currently hold or able to obtain US Government clearance.
- Full knowledge of multiple development methodologies (Waterfall, Spiral, Scrum/Agile).
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace, Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, Business, or similar study.
- Working knowledge of Agile development principles and best practices.
- Capable of reviewing and critiquing engineering designs and providing feedback on those designs.
- General knowledge of spacecraft subsystems.
- Strong listening, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong sense of self-motivation is essential – must be willing to be actively involved in the details of the system design and operability.
- Successful at multi-tasking and able to handle multiple priorities.
- Able to identify and resolve project issues independently.
- Strong teamwork and collaborative skills.
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO) or Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) is a plus.
- Service Oriented Architecture experience is a plus.
- Software development experience is a plus.
DigitalGlobe and Radiant solutions offer a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401(K) plan with competitive company match; paid holidays and paid time off.