The Strategic & Operational Analysis group at Invitae handles most of the company’s analyses for business intelligence and business operations improvements, plus a great deal of the company’s financial modeling for strategic decision analysis.
Our team serves an internal consultancy, helping teams across the company prepare for growth, evaluate development proposals and commercial strategies, set product pricing, improve our business operations, prepare quarterly board materials, and assist with other topics that come up at a fast-growing company. We are looking for an internally motivated, detail-oriented, team player to serve as the lead analyst on those projects.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Financial and Data Modeling & Analysis
- Strategic Analysis & Modeling - Working both independently and cross-functionally, help the company make and implement important business decisions by preparing operating and financial models and related written materials detailing your assumptions, considerations, recommendations, and alternatives. These analyses will regularly reach the C-suite of the company, and you will at times be asked to discuss or present them.
- Independent thinking and problem solving - We are also asked to analyze all sorts of business situations both inside and outside the company. This requires someone who can think for themselves, attack - and enjoy! - challenging problems, and learn/understand new topics. Robots need not apply.
Internal Consulting, Strategic Planning & Operational Analysis
- Work cross-functionally to solve business challenges through conducting root cause analyses, identifying business improvement opportunities, and designing and deploying actionable solutions
- Work with operating teams to help define opportunities for analyses or operational improvements
- Assist operating teams in process analysis, operational improvement, and general problem solving
EXPERIENCE AND CHARACTERISTICS
- 2-5+ years in management consulting, banking, investment management or similar role
- High proficiency in (and takes joy in) building out models in Excel / Google Sheets
- Be a storyteller: good written communication, verbal communication, and data-visualization skills
- Be collaborative, humble, team-first, know what you do and don’t know, constantly improving
- Enjoy data analysis and data exploration; able to synthesize data into compelling arguments; comfortable with both quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Thrive on solving complex problems, from defining the problem statement, structuring the approach and executing the analysis. We enjoy the challenge of making order, shared understanding, and efficiency out of chaos, lack of information, and inefficiency and hope you do too!
- Detail-oriented, proactive, flexible and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and working through ambiguity to find actionable business solutions
- Experience in life sciences is nice but not required by any means. Will consider all backgrounds.
- Experience with OKR-based operations management (Objectives and Key Results)
- Experience in working with software or product development teams
- Experience with the following frameworks or technologies is a plus but by no means required:
- Tableau or similar BI tools (Looker, etc)
- Monte Carlo or other probabilistic modeling
- SQL, Postgres, Amazon Redshift
- Agile (Atlassian Jira or similar)