Senior Systems Administrator at Ball Aerospace (Greater Boulder Area, CO)
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Senior Systems Administrator
In a Senior Role you will be expected to exhibit Leadership Skills. This role is a key contributor to the automation, deployment, monitoring, and troubleshooting of critical applications, services, and infrastructure components across the enterprise as well as closed environments. Interacting with other IT support teams for operational integration and migration efforts to keep consistency between all environments. Work closely with business leadership and engineering/manufacturing team specialists supporting program execution efforts.
What You’ll Do:
- Primary responsibility will be to support and maintain enterprise Virtual Servers and Hardware Infrastructure within a large enterprise environment
- Develop, document and perform approved maintenance plans on production systems.
- Perform scheduled weekend and after-hours tasks, as well as after-hours emergency support (as required).
- Support and troubleshoot issues associated with systems within a multi-tier and multi-lifecycle environment as well as maintain test environments.
- Research, test, document, and implement new products in compliance with security policies.
- Support the development teams in configuring, monitoring, maintaining and delivering applications and infrastructure.
- Maintain and support application environment builds in collaboration with development, operations, networking and security teams.
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting of the environments and responsible for ensuring high availability across all environments.
- Report production issues and incidents and perform root cause analysis in collaboration with operations and development teams to troubleshoot problems and define mitigation strategies.
- Ensure software licensing compliance for applications and services.
- Maintain infrastructure security practices – patching, firmware updates, etc.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Related Bachelor’s and 8 or more years of related experience; or HS Diploma and 14 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Associate’s, Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for additional years of experience.
- Related certifications may count towards years of related experience.
- Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- 8+ years of experience as a systems administrator is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience with Microsoft Active Directory, DNS, GPO authoring technologies.
- 5+ years of experience configuring, maintaining, and monitoring applications and services in a Microsoft Windows server environment running versions 2008 to 2019.
- 5+ years of experience maintaining a VMware infrastructure – vCenter, vSphere
- 3+ years of experience in configuring JBoss and IIS on Microsoft Windows.
- 1-2 years of experience with Windows PowerShell or other automation scripting.
- Preferred Technical Skills:
- Experience with Software Configuration Management (SCM) and source control tools such as Team Foundation Server or Perforce.
- Experience with Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) systems such as legacy Agile or 3D Experience by Dassault or similar Siemens PLM systems.
- Experience with WebLogic, Tomcat, Cold Fusion, Oracle Client and Data Access Components.
- Experience with server virtualization using VMWare vCenter and vSphere, creating guests, and automating the creation of guests for multiple environments.
- Experience with .Net/Microsoft skills: IIS, .NET Framework, .Net custom Applications, Windows Task Scheduler, and Windows Services, Microsoft SQL Server, TFS server.
- Understanding of ITIL principles, including incident management, CMDB, and change management.
- 1-2 years of experience in application development in .NET or Java.
- Experience with implementation and support of commercial and homegrown applications utilizing a wide range of technologies.
- Experience working in an enterprise organization understanding application interdependencies.
- Strong documentation skills, organization skills, and the ability to interact with team members cross functionally.
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal and interpersonal.
- Responsible, self-motivated, and able to thrive in an energetic, fast pace, high growth environment. Exhibits ownership of projects and tasks assigned.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $105,500 - $145,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.