Senior System Engineer
Reports to: Director of Tech Ops
Help shape the future of how people experience the digital world. You'll be at the forefront of an exciting shift in how digital identity authentication allows companies and consumers to transact with trust in the digital world.
We’re actively looking to add exceptional people to our team who align with how we envision ourselves culturally and professionally. As a lens to how outsiders see Payfone, you will represent a team of people who love what they do and who they work with.
Under the general direction of the Direction of Technical Operations, the Senior System Administrator manages the purchase, installation, configuration and maintenance of network server and storage hardware, Linux operating systems, VMWare environments and supporting softwares. The Senior System Administrator will be Responsible for evaluating current systems, maintaining optimal repair state and working to establish future state strategies. They will upgrade and maintain systems and processes as required for enhanced functionality and security and compliance requirements.
The successful candidate will work on complex problems where analysis of situation requires in-depth evaluation of various factors. They will plans large scale systems projects through architecture, vendor comparison and cost studies and provide second level guidance/direction to System Administrators. The senior system administrator will perform technical analysis of complex software, hardware, and transmission facility using various diagnostic tools in support of efficient network operations and provide guidance/direction for engineering efforts and test and evaluation programs as well as on-site engineering when required.
As a member of the Technical Operations team, the Senior System Operator will be responsible for:
- Evaluating current systems, maintaining optimal repair state and working to establish future state strategies
- Upgrading and maintaining systems and processes as required for enhanced functionality and security and compliance requirements
- Working on complex problems where analysis of situation requires in-depth evaluation of various factors
- Plans large scale systems projects through architecture, vendor comparison and cost studies
- Providing second level guidance/direction to System Administrators
- Performing technical analysis of complex software, hardware, and transmission facility using various diagnostic tools in support of efficient network operations
- Providing guidance/direction for engineering efforts and test and evaluation programs
- Performing on-site engineering when required
|10%||Design and Planning|
|30%||Support and troubleshoot of existing systems and issues|
|10%||Trend analysis and capacity planning|
|10%||System rationalization and optimization|
|20%||Network administration and support|
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- At least eight (8) years of broad IT infrastructure support experience
- An Associates technology degree or equivalent experience
- Administrator experience with Linux, VMWare, DNS and Microsoft server products including Terminal Services, Active Directory, Exchange and WSUS required
- Experience with OS and network security technologies and policies
- Experience with Cisco configuration, security and maintenance
- Experience deploying and provisioning NAS and SAN storage technologies.
- Exposure to LAN/WAN concepts including a working knowledge of routing protocols, VLANs, SSL VPN, and IPSec VPN
- Experience with standard IT development lifecycles
- Senior-level experience in LAN support
Specialized Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to make sound and logical judgments
- Demonstrated leadership and personnel/project management skills
- Advanced knowledge of system vulnerabilities and security issues
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to perform general mathematical calculations for the purpose of creating needs assessments, budgets
- Able to conduct research into issues and products as required
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and make sound decisions in emergency situations
- Ability to present ideas in a user-friendly language
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Strong customer service orientation
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- On-call availability
- Sitting for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components
- Occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals
- General Office
- Onsite/in-office work
- Lifting over 50 lbs
- Travel to NY offices
A compensation package composed of a base salary and equity will be structured to attract a uniquely qualified candidate. Excellent health benefits are included. No sponsorship will be provided.
Payfone is the leading digital identity authentication network for the connected world. Our real-time, passive identity authentication solutions enable consumers and the world’s largest banks, insurers, brokerages and technology companies to thwart digital identity theft and transact with trust. Learn more at http://www.payfone.com and https://www.linkedin.com/company/payfone.
This position description should not be considered the final description of the position. It should be assumed that we would, to some extent, structure responsibilities in accordance with the successful candidate’s capabilities and changing business conditions.
Payfone is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people regardless of race, color, religion, gender or sexual orientation, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, veteran status or other personal characteristics.