Senior Manager, Underlying Rights at Zayo
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
This position will serve as a Senior Manager*, which will be primarily focused on rights-of-way management in support of Zayo’s outside plant (OSP) organization (*Candidates may be considered for Director level position based upon experience). This position will report to the Vice President, Underlying Rights within the Legal Department. The scope of work includes a variety of legal, business, and operational matters, including contract negotiation, management of ongoing network agreements, project management, permitting support, vendor management, and cost reduction efforts. This role will have opportunities to contribute to large projects, cross-train other members of the Underlying Rights team, and work directly with the General Counsel and other senior Zayo staff.
- Negotiate, draft, and manage agreements under which Zayo is granted rights to construct fiber optic and conduit assets as the company continues to develop and maintain its network. These include public franchise and right-of-way use agreements, utility pole attachment agreements, private easements, railroad licenses, and the like.
- Advocate on Zayo’s behalf before municipalities and other public agencies to secure critical underlying rights associated with network expansion, including meeting with city attorneys and other senior municipal staff to negotiate and acquire rights, as well as attending city council and other regulatory meetings in support of such efforts.
- Manage reduction of network expenses related to underlying rights, including franchise fees, pole attachment charges, and land leases.
- Contribute to the training and management of junior members of the Underlying Rights Team.
- Research federal, state, and local laws to assert Zayo’s rights to access public rights-of-way and utility poles as a CLEC, and in support of the company’s cost reduction initiatives.
- Support finance to negotiate and resolve billing disputes with underlying rights grantors/vendors.
- Undergraduate degree. Higher degree strongly preferred.
- Prefer a candidate with experience drafting and negotiating contracts. Familiarity with telecom agreements and/or industry a strong plus.
- Strong project management and organizational skills essential. Contract and database management a strong plus. Proficiency in process improvement.
- Experience with federal, state or local government, telecom networks, construction, municipal rights-of-way, or analyzing contracts is a strong plus.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills required. Ability to communicate and advocate for Zayo with internal and external parties through effective and organized writing and verbal skills.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave