Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
QC Inspector Lead - CMM Receiving Inspector
What You’ll Do:
You have been a senior aerospace inspector, you may have been in different industries such as medical or automotive, or you may have even performed inspection activities without the inspector title. You have led or managed staff or projects and embrace the challenge to improve the performance of your team. You thrive on enabling people to learn and grow. You have a passion for quality and exceeding expectations. You succeed in training others using your extensive experience.
Can you lead and challenge a diverse group of inspectors to achieve higher levels of performance and fidelity? Are you committed to excellence in the technology that operates and supports National Defense and the warfighter? If you answered yes, then this may be the aerospace Inspection Lead position for you!
In this position you will utilize your extensive inspection experience verifying all types of components and material such as mechanical fasteners, electronic components, circuit boards, manufacturing support items, adhesives, and tooling. You will demonstrate your proficiency in systems that plan and control manufacturing, part specifications, engineering drawings, and MRP/ERP.
This is the front end of the Integrated Supply Chain – where all the material enters the business and you are a key part of the material verification process that reduces the risks to programs and our customers. You will ensure our suppliers are providing components and assemblies that meet Ball’s requirements, prevent malicious and counterfeit goods from affecting programs, and will help our nation and the warfighter by providing the best possible products.
What You’ll Do:
- Be responsible for your team’s performance, execution proficiency and consistency, training, and status reporting.
- Lead, direct, and inspire your team to deliver results and continually improve their performance. You will inspire trust in leadership and advocate for your team and their needs including training, equipment, and support.
- Monitor and adjust workforce allocation according to workload, performance metrics, skillsets, and training needs.
- Develop training plans for your team, both training them yourself and identifying internal and external training resources to ensure team success.
- Give input into employee performance reviews and may assist department leadership with personnel performance improvement plans.
- Inspect incoming mechanical and electrical production material or articles for conformance to purchase order requirements, engineering drawings, and specifications using visual, mechanical and electrical test methods.
- Verify received products and internally produced machined items meet the requirements of process standards and specifications utilizing various mechanical inspection equipment, such as calipers, micrometers, thread gages, magnifiers, microscopes, and CMMs.
- May create and utilize programmable CMMs using PC-DMIS and/or Calypso software. You may teach others how to program and measure parts using the CMM.
- Utilize optical comparators and more advanced mechanical inspection tools and gages
- Accept or reject material or articles and to identify and document anomalies and non-conformances.
- Create and maintain inspection records utilizing many different electronic information systems.
- Become certified to detect counterfeit parts and prevent them from entering the manufacturing process.
- Obtain and maintain all process certification required for assigned tasks.
- May learn and maintain certification for J-STD-001 & IPC-600/610/620 for printed wiring boards and assembly inspections.
- May learn and utilize X-Ray Florescence testing to determine material composition and alloy and identify prohibited materials and metal alloys.
- Help others when needed and be open to learning new things you never knew existed.
- Identify and collaborate with group leadership on continuous improvement projects to drive excellence in your area.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 14 years or more related experience or a related 2-year technical degree and 12 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Ability to describe your experience leading teams and/or projects involving requirements, schedules, planning, and deadlines.
- Experience with successfully interfacing and communicating with diverse individuals and other functions within the manufacturing life cycle (engineering, planning, operations, etc.)
- Ability to describe how you use good problem-solving abilities, your mechanical aptitude, and your training to tackle tough inspection challenges and how you have improved over your career.
- Ability to describe how you have led and taught others.
- Demonstrated expertise doing inspection activities and be able to articulate your experience recording inspection results, performing inspection operations, interpreting specifications, and using electronic information systems.
- Expertise, experience, and training in CMM programming and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing to ASME Y14.5
- Ability to master electronic information systems and tools. This is often rooted in good computer skills and aptitude.
- Ability to understand and consistently follow work instructions and checklists.
- Good physical dexterity and coordination to safely handle parts, color vision/discrimination, and visual acuity for small details.
- Ability to use microscopes and magnifiers and handle very small parts.
- Ability to hear and speak as well as frequently bend, stand, walk, and lift up to 40 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to clearly and professionally communicate in both written and oral formats.
- Proficiency using Windows and common Microsoft Office applications.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $65,000 - $88,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.