QC Inspector IV - CMM at Ball Aerospace (Greater Boulder Area, CO)
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
QC Inspector IV - CMM
In this position you will utilize your inspection experience of mechanical inspection, programming coordinate measurement machines (CMM) and optical CMMs, and abilities to do open setup measurement on all sorts of components and machined parts made from a variety of metals and plastics. Your experience will facilitate review and comprehension of material and process certifications and you will quickly become proficient in systems that plan and control manufacturing, part specifications, engineering drawings, and MRP/ERP.
This is the front end of the Integrated Supply Chain – where all the material enters the business, and you are a key part of the material verification process that reduces the risks to programs and our customers. You will ensure our suppliers are providing components and assemblies that meet Ball’s requirements and will help our nation and the warfighter by providing the best possible products.
What You’ll Do:
- Inspect incoming and machine shop mechanical production material or articles for conformance to purchasing order requirements, engineering drawings, schematics, and specifications: process standards and specifications utilizing various mechanical inspection equipment, such as calipers, micrometers, thread gages, CMMs, Vision Systems, optical comparators, etc.
- Program Zeiss DCC CMMs using the latest Calypso software and VASST scanning probe, to tight tolerances utilizing GD&T and embedded model dimensioning.
- Monitor for conformance to design or test specifications. Accept or reject material or articles; identify and document non-conformance and notify appropriate personnel of potential rejection of items.
- Establish accept/reject criteria and revision status from blueprints, MIL-specs, screening specs.
- Obtain and maintain all process certification required for assigned tasks.
- Troubleshoot inspection problems related to fixtures, software, drawings, paperwork, or process.
- Prepare and maintain inspection records.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary
What You’ll Need:
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 8 years or more related experience or a related 2-year technical degree and 6 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Moderate to Expert level of competency in the area of mechanical inspection.
- Demonstrated proficiency in interpreting and utilizing Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) for inspection purposes.
- Proficiency using Windows and common Microsoft Office applications.
- Considerable experience using and programming Zeiss Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM) with Calypso software.
- Experience with PC-DMIS and Brown and Sharpe CMMs will be considered.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to articulate technical issues and interface with engineering.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $24.04 - $32.45 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.