Program Manager I - Civil Space at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Civil Space Strategic Business Unit develops many of the world's pioneering space and science missions. From delivering entire missions to contributing component level expertise, we value our role as a mission partner and our ability to provide science at any scale. Our team of scientists work with the science community to understand their missions and deliver systems that go beyond expectation.
Program Manager I – Civil Space
Plan, organize, direct, and control all activities of a program to satisfy contractual requirements and meet financial commitments to the company, while ensuring good employee and customer relations.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for overall program leadership, direction and guidance that ensures successful program execution in accordance with the budget, schedule, contract, Statement of Work (SOW) and technical specifications.
- Act as the main interface with the Customer and main Ball representative on all program related subjects.
- Responsible for the program's major metrics – sales, bookings, profit, and the customer relationship.
- Review and evaluate the program status on a continuing basis and work unplanned program issues to a best solution, including development of plans-forward, escalation and increased resources, as required.
- Work closely with Strategic Business Unit (SBU) management to communicate program progress and resolve issues and concerns.
- Work with Strategic Support Unit (SSU) management to ensure the program is staffed with appropriate skill levels and that work is being accomplished according to plan.
- Ensure that all business is conducted using the highest ethical standards and in compliance with all applicable laws, statutes, and regulations as well as company policies and directives.
- Identify and ensure required compliance with the government and company regulation, policies/procedures and guidelines; negotiate acceptance/ approval of all program plans with internal interfaces and the customer.
- Coordinate the shared use of capital assets and company facilities with other programs.
- Ensure that program requirements, purposes, objectives, and expectations are communicated and flowed down to the internal team and subcontractors.
- Develop and monitor fidelity of the program baseline including definition of tasks, program budgets and program schedules.
- Employ proactive risk & opportunity management processes and practices to mitigate or capture potential program issues and improvements.
- Employ Earned Value (EV) and Earned Value Management (EVM) processes and practices including variance reporting.
- Lead change proposal efforts for program including pre-coordination with customer to establish expectations.
- Lead in the development of program add-on/follow-on activities including capture planning, program execution strategies, definition of assumptions and ground rules, and developing executable program plans.
- Lead technical, contracts, and subcontracts staff in monitoring performance of subcontractors performing on the contract.
- Direct the work of program leads and other designated staff supporting contract execution, delegate critical functions, as required.
- Provide leadership to the program team, balancing the needs of the program with individual expectations. Be an advocate for career development of members of the program team.
- Create a motivational environment where team members understand the mission, are fully engaged and empowered to execute, and are recognized for their performance.
- Resolve conflicts, demands and priorities on assigned programs.
- Serve as mentor to less experienced program managers and others who are aspiring program managers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS/BA in a related field, plus 10 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Leadership experience in the development of space flight hardware. Program management experience preferred.
- Direct experience with NASA, NOAA, USGS Program Management is highly preferred.
- Experience with NASA Announcement of Opportunity (AO) process is preferred.
- Experience with subcontract management and supplier oversight and direction.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $132,500 - $183,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.