Pie Insurance is an insurtech company tackling meaningful problems. At Pie, we work with small businesses using technology and innovation to improve how they access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. So, at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us.
The Payroll Partner Operations Manager is responsible for managing a team of operations team members who are responsible for servicing Pie’s payroll partners. This team is composed of underwriters, underwriting, partner experience and customer success associates. The Payroll Partner Operations Manager drives the team to efficiently issue policies, underwrite submissions and support payroll partner sales agents. This role will also lead the team to develop new processes, suggest product changes and develop other initiatives to grow the payroll segment. The Payroll Partner Operations Manager must be capable of taking the company in new directions specific to payroll while ensuring the needs of current partners are met. This role requires strong interpersonal skills, a metrics-based approach to operations and the ability to influence across departments. This individual must also be capable of representing Pie to and interfacing with senior management of payroll partners.
This role has the option to be a hybrid or fully-remote position. Hybrid roles provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from the team member's home. Remote team members must be in the United States, and are expected to be available for meetings with team members in other time zones and have access to reliable, high-speed internet. This role may travel occasionally to our Denver or DC office.
How You'll Do It
- Direct team’s underwriting functions:
- Ensure underwriters are meeting or exceeding targeted service levels.
- Ensure underwriters/UAs are following guidelines and procedures, while also evaluating processes and implementing improvements to better serve payroll partners.
- Assist with underwriting questions or risk evaluation as necessary.
- Coordinate "load balancing" with other UW teams as necessary to meet SLAs.
- Ensure the team is trained and up to date on product appetite, pricing models, etc.
- Direct team’s customer success functions:
- Ensure customer success team members are meeting or exceeding targeted service levels.
- Ensure customer success team members are following CS guidelines and procedures, while continually evaluating processes and implementing improvement to better serve payroll partners.
- Assist with customer issue resolution as necessary.
- Coordinate "load balancing" with other CS teams as necessary to meet SLAs.
- Ensure the team is trained and up to date on processes, guidelines, etc.
- Manage Partner Experience Specialist(s):
- Manage PX Specialists to ensure timely turnaround and resolution of partner issues.
- Gather additional feedback from partners to improve Pie’s share of partner business.
- Develop and implement new ways to efficiently meet the needs of our Partners and grow Pie's share of their business.
- Incorporate payroll partner feedback into new initiatives:
- Be the primary operational representative to payroll partners.
- Gather feedback from both internal teams and payroll partners to improve conversion rate, operations, etc.
- Work across departments to implement new processes, products or services specific to the payroll channel.
- Provide reporting of data and benchmarking to Pie leadership.
- Research competitive payroll offerings maintain knowledge of industry trends.
- General Team Leadership
- Develop goals and metrics for team members and coach team members to meet or exceed performance indicators. Set clear expectations for deliverables and assign priorities that support the goals of the business.
- Develop incentive plans for Partner Experience Specialists.
- Conduct interviews, make hiring decisions and coach underperforming team members.
- Provide regular and frequent training to Payroll Partner Ops Team, update training and SOP materials.
- Facilitate cross functional teamwork and collaboration.
The Right Stuff
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience with some college coursework is required.
- A minimum of 6-years insurance experience required.
- A minimum of 4-years experience managing an insurance underwriting or customer service department required.
- Experience in workers compensation or other business lines preferred.
- Intermediate communication (written and verbal) skills, to deliver more complex information effectively.
- Intermediate problem solving skills to be able to manage complex tasks and work through to solutions with little guidance and direction.
- Advanced leadership skills with experience leading teams of various skilled team members through complex service and operational deliverables.
- Key knowledge of service metrics and how to apply them.
- Knowledge of insurance underwriting and/or customer experience operations, best practices and processes required.
- Strong analytical skills: take various data points, interpret them, and create deliverables and action items.
- Ability to analyze current operations and develop options for improved efficiency, conversion or cost reduction.
- G-Suite Tools, Collaboration tools (Slack is preferred).
- Experience in SPG, Looker, and/or Salesforce highly preferred.
- Competitive salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
- Generous parental leave
Compensation & Benefits
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie. That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $105,000 - $140,000
Other Benefits: Each year Pie reviews Company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding