New Segments, Sunday Store GM
Unbox a better lawn. We’re a venture-funded, Boulder-based startup that’s reinventing the lawn and garden space through a consumer-centric lens of e-commerce and technology. Our approachable, data-driven service and products help Americans in every state turn their yards into verdant, sustainable ecosystems, without all the toxic stuff. (Think Method Home meets StitchFix - for Lawns!)
We are backed by a group of top-tier investors and following our Series C raise, we are looking for the right people to grow our core team. Together, we will redefine an industry by continuing to build cutting-edge products that help people and the environment. If you don’t want to take our word for it, check out our recent coverage on TechCrunch!
Context & Role
New Segments is a new capability Sunday is forming to drive the development, testing, launch, and management of new business concepts, spanning from category expansion to new business models. Folks in this role will work closely with Sunday’s founders and senior leaders on important, yet-to-be structured initiatives that require thinking through ambiguity, learning by doing, building from zero to one, and early optimizing.
The first new initiative we’re tackling within this capability is “Sunday Store,” which is exploring the concept of Sunday merchandising third-party products beyond its current lawncare staples. Sunday is looking for an entrepreneurial, strategic, and operationally capable leader to scope, resource, launch, and own this Sunday Store initiative. This person will have to wear many hats, especially early on, including product manager, launch lead, and general manager.
The ideal candidate will have relevant industry experience in ecommerce and Sunday Store development, along with functional experience across product, operations, and sales. They’ll need to have demonstrated experience balancing strategic thinking with tactical planning, along with the ability to influence across all levels of an organization.
New Segments General
- Partner with the CEO and other functional leads to identify, rationalize, prioritize and launch new business lines and initiatives
- Drive end-to-end strategic projects to launch a new business or accelerate the growth of an existing business
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders to combine market research, user insight, and product vision to drive strategic decision making
- Oversee and lead the scoping of complex research-based projects, secure stakeholder and working team engagement and provide operational leadership and support as needed to deliver key business outcomes
- Deliver financial and operational analysis on business cases
- Prepare “executive ready” deliverables and manage alignment and communication with key stakeholders
Sunday Store Specific
- Guide relevant research, with current and non-Sunday customers, to identify areas of opportunity within Sunday Store concept
- Conduct early stage sourcing and partnership exploration of promising product offerings
- Create detailed launch plans, including cross-functional requirements timelines, and resources
- Assess, analyze, and plan for various fulfillment strategies, e.g., drop-shipping, owned inventory, hybrid, etc.
- Drive development of unit economics: costing, commission, payments, pricing, etc.
- Drive definition and requirements of how Sunday concepts are applied to Sunday Store
- Partner with relevant resources to design and develop customer-facing site, content, back-end logics processes, and other assets needed to create experiences in line with the Sunday brand
- Test, learn, and evolve early Sunday Store offering to optimize and grow in line with business objectives
- Be the primary champion for this line of business, from planning to launching to growing
Ideal Background and Skills
- 6+ years of relevant experience: consulting, ecommerce, logistics, and/or business development
- Strong business acumen: ability to approach complex business problems in a structured way and drive rapidly towards insight
- Experience leading cross functional teams in a high-growth environment
- Quantitative expertise; analytical in spreadsheets and in real-world applications
- Ability to prioritize and drive many projects simultaneously with sense of urgency
- Ability to clearly articulate resource trade-off decisions
- Excellent communication, decision making and organizational skills
- Entrepreneurial and comfortable operating closer to the ground with smaller teams
- Roll up the sleeves, positive, can-do spirit! You look forward to being part of a scrappy team and are willing to pitch in with whatever needs to get done
- Be a core member of a small, focused, innovative team
- Help make critical decisions that will drive success
- Health, Dental, Vision Benefits: covering employee premiums 90%; spouse/family 50%
- Unlimited PTO
- 401(k) program
- Located in beautiful Boulder, Colorado / COVID Remote