Network Test Engineer at Zayo
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
- This is a mid-level network engineer position and a great learning opportunity.
- Responsible for IP Ethernet lab inventory, equipment installs, performing daily tasks for lab management, cabling, testing and documenting network devices and technologies, assisting in troubleshooting, and supporting senior network architects with lab setup.
- Expected to be subject matter expert for testing networking technologies relevant to the Zayo IP/Ethernet networks.
- Responsible for implementing Ethernet and IP product design standards and enhancements, replicating production network issues and escalations in the lab, and engaging vendors for support.
- The position is expected to spend 100% time in the lab environment.
- Expected to have knowledge in handling, configuring, and bringing network equipment up and running.
- Expected to be self-motivated, self-learner, and willing to own assigned responsibilities.
- Take responsibility for standing up lab environment for Layer 2 & Layer testing
- Responsible for shipping and receiving equipment
- Work with vendors when shipping/receiving equipment
- Responsible for unpacking equipment, inventory it, and getting it ready for installation
- Work with other team members for racking, stacking, and powering up the equipment
- Update lab records with location, mounting position, and management of equipment
- Ensure equipment comes up and have all components installed, cabled up for access
- Notify stakeholders with equipment status
- Conduct extensive lab testing of new architectures, platforms, internetworking software
- Achieve milestones and meet timelines for all projects
- Multitask and prioritize projects per business and operational needs
- Operational knowledge and experience with carrier-class routers, switches, and packet-optical platforms, such as Juniper, Cisco, Nokia-ALU, Infinera, Ciena, Accedian, and x86 servers
- Hands-on experience with Spirent Test Center, VeryX, and Ixia
- Knowledge and experience with IP addressing, DNS, AAA, Unix & Windows servers
- Knowledge and experience with optical modules, SFP, SFPP, QSFPP, QSFP28, XFP
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with networking and power cables, SMF, MMF, CAT5, Asynchronous cables
- Experience with modems, console terminals, and IEEE standards
- Knowledge and experience with DC 48V & AC power shelves and PDU panels
- Skills in troubleshooting Layer 2 & Layer 3 equipment and networks
- Be able to communicate with vendors
- Skills in scripting with Python and Perl, automation
- Project management skills
- Bachelor's degree a plus
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in computer networking and telecommunications industries
- Must have datacenter experience
- Certifications JNCIA or CCNA a plus
- Other network related certifications a plus
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave