Network Planning Engineer at Zayo
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
The Network Planning Engineer is responsible for creating optical transport capacity solutions to support delivery of managed wavelength services. Projects may encompass greenfield builds, capacity augments, grooms or decommission of circuits/systems. Budgetary and engineering skills will be used to support various stakeholders (i.e. Business Units, Engineering, Operations, Tier III, Field Services and Architecture) in the service delivery process. A successful candidate must possess a strong desire to learn optical transport technologies, define and communicate standardized specifications, and thrive in a fast-paced cross-functional organization. An aptitude to prioritize tasks and timelines, while building strong relationships are attributes we seek in qualified applicants.
- Develop capital budget requests; source equipment vendor quotes, create project budget and submit for approval. Create and submit purchase requisitions associated with network infrastructure projects. Manage and report on capital associated with ongoing network infrastructure projects.
- Design, engineer and recommend hardware solutions to support network capacity augments and greenfield system builds. Produce engineering design packages to support implementation of network infrastructure. Generate circuit and/or system groom plans and site/system decommissioning projects as required.
- Procure quotes and define designs for optical fiber circuits, space, power and telemetry. Submit intercompany requests to Fiber Solutions to design/build optical fiber spans, and to ISP for procurement of space and/or power.
- Evaluate and specify hardware/software/services for technical/cost/timeline feasibility. Work with equipment vendors and internal technical leadership (i.e. Architecture, Tier III, NCC, etc.) to confirm support for proposed solution. Analysis of multi-vendor interoperability and evaluation of standards-based versus proprietary solutions is required.
- Serve as network infrastructure point of contact; conduct and attend project calls, support Infrastructure Engineering by providing technical oversight throughout project completion. Facilitate creation of standard processes and specifications to improve efficiency and timely service delivery. Provide and attend technical training as needed.
- Track, manage and report on network capacity utilization (channel/slot/port) using network documentation databases. Create lit channel/slot capacity assignments in documentation databases and systems to fulfill capacity requests.
- Query production network elements and management systems as needed to validate available channel/slot/port capacity. Provision logical services and document reservations in production network management systems and databases. Assist engineering and service delivery teams in locating available channel/slot/port capacity.
- Interface between equipment vendor(s) and Zayo stakeholders as needed to validate technical specifications, hardware and software interoperability, and hardware delivery timelines.
- Facilitate cross-functional communications among team members to foster timely resolution of project obstacles
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or 2-5 years relevant telecommunications engineering experience.
- Excellent planning and optimization skills.
- Knowledge of optical fiber technical specifications, testing and link engineering fundamentals.
- Experience with DWDM network architectures (i.e. FOADM/ROADM/PON/fixed and flex grid) and signal flow.
- Familiarity with telecommunications service protocol structure and testing (i.e. Ethernet/OTN/SONET/SDH/SAN).
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave