Network Engineer at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, and dedicated Internet access. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
This position is responsible for Network Engineering and Optimization initiatives for SONET networks that are driven by Real Estate Forced Relocations, ISP Cost Savings, PG cost Savings, Network Modernization and Access Cost Reductions. You will be responsible for identifying existing equipment at impacted locations, analyzing and auditing traffic on those network elements, designing required network augments and reconfigurations, new paths, planning traffic migration and updating database.
- Planning – Review of project to understand existing equipment and circuit configurations and identify equipment and circuit options to meet project requirements as well as any costs required.
- Engineering – Physical and logical audit of the equipment and circuits, Design of new network/network reconfiguration including identification and sourcing of equipment shelves and cards within the existing network where possible
- Identification of space, power, fiber, wave, cross-connect, riser requirements for planned deployments and placing of internal orders
- Create statement of work, create internal order forms (via Salesforce.com)
- Operations - Create MOP, Schedule Maintenance Releases as required
- Update status and progress in Salesforce on a regular basis
- Verify and update project documentation
- Implementation and migration to complete optimization
- Issue orders for disconnect and removal of equipment
- Update Database to complete the project
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, with an emphasis on Electrical, Networking or Telecommunications Engineering preferred.
- Five to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Detailed understanding and experience with SONET networking technologies and vendors
- Knowledge and experience with designing and engineering Cisco, Fujitsu, Ciena and Lucent SONET systems a must.
- Familiar with fundamentals of provisioning fiber based circuits in a datacenter environment, including patches, cross-connects, risers, and backhaul.
- Detail oriented, quality driven, self-directed, and self-motivated team player.
- Experience working in a team within a complex and fast paced environment.
- Good problem solving skills with the ability to focus on the salient facts in order to resolve an issue.
- Experience organizing multiple, time sequenced tasks across several concurrent projects.
- Familiar with Google docs and sheets, email as well as Microsoft Excel
- Good communication skills – verbal and written.
Base salary range: $92,395-$100,344
Full-time Zayo employees are also eligible for discretionary quarterly short-term and long-term incentive cash bonuses which are based on the performance of the Company, an employee’s business segment, and the individual employee
Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
Fitness membership discounts
Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time