Manager, Investigations at Checkr
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $4.6B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include, Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
The Investigations Manager plays an integral role at Checkr. At Checkr you will join our growing Operations team with a heavy focus on compliance, which ensures the accuracy and efficiency of the background screening process. The Investigations Manager role calls for a curious and analytical individual with creative problem-solving skills. We’re looking for someone with strong people management and interpersonal skills who possesses a solid understanding of investigations thought processes with a demonstrated ability to execute on higher-level ideas for product, process, and systems improvement. You will become part of a gritty hard-working team creating a new standard of investigations in the background screening industry.
What You'll Do
- Work with leadership and other cross-functional partners to scale the team, including headcount planning, workflow/ product improvements, and implementing ways to uplevel the team and the work they do
- Have total ownership of investigations, escalations, and resolutions and represent the team as a subject matter expert in all areas of investigations. Provide continuous feedback and coaching, conduct bi-annual performance reviews, and 1:1s
- Develop, coach, and lead by example for a high-performing team of Associate Managers that will report to you (who have Associates reporting to them!)
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify and investigate complex compliance risk issues to solve problems at the root cause. Use data to optimize processes, creatively solve problems, track results, proactively explore problems and potential solutions to ensure maximum possible accuracy of investigations in compliance with FCRA
- Drive continuous improvement by providing clear feedback to teammates to bridge gaps in decision-making or processes or deliver training and remediation plans. Develop, deliver and maintain standard operating procedures and training for internal compliance initiatives and optimize team performance to meet critical KPIs and daily productivity targets
- Ensure team optimization and performance to meet critical KPIs and OKRs
- Drive and foster continued collaboration with (and have a passion for working alongside) our Product, Legal & Compliance, Disputes, and other Operations teams.
- Work and communication cross-functionally to analyze and drive projects and initiatives to completion to ensure timely resolutions
- Collaborate with our Compliance and DataOps teams to understand evolving trends/risk, and implement effective compliance controls, workflows and supporting systems to redefine the quality and timeliness of dispute resolution
- Foster an open environment of experimentation, analytical thinking, and precision
- Candidates with 5+ years of professional experience and a minimum of 1-2 years of leading and/or coaching a team in a fast-paced startup environment. Prior experience in risk, fraud, audits, compliance or trust & safety is preferred
- Industry knowledge and excellent investigative, critical thinking and customer service skills - experience in crisis or incident response is a plus
- Effective and timely communicator. Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must along with an ability to provide feedback, coaching, and direction to individual contributors
- Ability to think both on the fly and downstream, attention to detail and extremely well organized with a track record of process improvement and implementation
- Metrics driven mindset, analytical, process, and solution-oriented
- Proficiency in computer applications (both offline and internet based) is required
- Project management skills - ability to manage concurrent projects with a track record of hitting targets and deadlines
- Ability to travel 10-15% of the time
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $94,350 - $111,000.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.