Linux Systems Administrator at FirstBank
$90-110k depending on experience.
*Relocation assistance is not provided and this is not a remote position. FirstBank does not sponsor work visas.
Founded in 1963, FirstBank maintains more than $20 billion in assets and operates over 110 branch locations across Colorado, Arizona and California. Its growth can be attributed to one simple philosophy: do right by customers, communities and employees, which at is the center of the company’s “banking for good” mantra. FirstBank believes that a company is nothing without the people that comprise it, and prides itself in hiring and training a diverse and talented group. By joining the FirstBank team you will experience its great team culture with ample opportunity for growth. There’s an opportunity for everyone with positions all across the company, from Teller and Call Center to Technology and Lending. Apply today to learn more and join the team!
A Brief Overview
Responsible for administration, maintenance and performance of vendor applications running on Linux platforms in support of internal corporate applications in a 24x7 enterprise environment. Individuals in this position work as part of a team with other Linux Server Administrators to review performance of existing systems and provide recommendations to improve overall systems performance, security and resiliency that meet service level objectives. Participate in on-call rotation and after-hours work as required by system implementations, outages or upgrades. Individuals in this position may work independently on assigned projects with minimal supervision.
What you will do
- Responsible for administration, implementation and upgrades of Linux (RHEL) Application Server environments.
- Manage the promotion of code and configuration changes through development, UAT, and production.
- Participate in the evaluation and implementation of projects involving existing and new technical solutions.
- Participate in the implementation of the infrastructure for a new solution following procedures listed in the Infrastructure Department Policies and Procedures manual as well as the Information Protection Policy manual.
- Maintain documentation of assigned systems and processes on an on-going basis; include documentation updates as an integral part of every project.
- Troubleshoot server and application problems; coordinate resolution with internal technical resources and external vendors.
- Collaborate with other Technology staff and third party vendors as required for the implementation of new or upgrades to existing systems.
- Monitor the capacity and performance of systems and make recommendations for improvements as necessary.
- Follow change control procedures during new implementations and changes to existing systems.
- Collaborate with the Security team to resolve findings from various audits.
- Maintain knowledge of current and developing technologies, recommend evaluation of emerging technologies that would benefit the Infrastructure.
- Communicate with management on the status of projects.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
- Understand and comply with all provisions of the Safety in the Workplace policy.
- Typically requires a bachelor's degree in related field and a minimum of 2 years of related experience.
- A combination of post-high school education, job related certification and related experience equivalent to 5 years may be considered in lieu of minimum requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or other technical field
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance multiple projects and multiple tasks while meeting agreed upon objectives
- Experience with Linux based applications and Linux server administration
- Strong technical problem-solving skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to implement highly available solutions; implement multi-tiered and load balanced distributed systems
- Thorough understanding of Java/Java EE concepts (JDBC, JMS/MQ, JSP, JNDI, etc.) is required
- Good working knowledge of Oracle database systems
- Experience with working on Linux platforms and strong bash shell scripting and automation skills
- Good time management, documentation, and communication skills
- Strong understanding of web protocols, TCP/IP and technologies such as HTTP, HTTPS and SSL
- Working knowledge with public cloud infrastructure (AWS)
- Working knowledge of Apache/Tomcat
- Ability to create, implement and maintain information security standards at the operating system and application levels
- Ability to develop bash shell scripts for administrative and automation tasks
- Ability to develop playbooks using Ansible for configuration management, application deployment, orchestration and provisioning.
- Good understanding of communication/data encryption technologies, web applications, and Relational Database Systems
- Good working knowledge of data communication topologies and protocols
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Frequently remains stationary throughout a typical business day
- Frequently operates a computer and other office machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Occasionally moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, and other rooms
- Occasionally positions self to access drawers and shelves of various heights
- Frequently reaches for and handles paperwork and files
- Constantly communicates with customers, coworkers, and management in-person and on the phone
- Must be able to exchange accurate information
Statement of Benefits
FirstBank offers a suite of benefits that support our employees’ professional, financial, physical, emotional and spiritual well-being. Benefits currently offered with our positions include: Paid Time Off/paid leave programs, 401K/Employee Stock Ownership, United Healthcare medical, MetLife dental, VSP vision, Employee tuition reimbursement, Volunteer Time Off, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, and Group Life Insurance/AD&D
FirstBank is an EOE/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.