Journalism Associate Director at Markit Digital
In this role, you will need to be innately inquisitive and affable, with an attention to detail. You need a solid awareness of the North America styrene and refined products markets and be the point of contact for OPIS/IHS Markit petrochemical clients on a daily basis.
- Developing and maintaining rapport with key contacts and liaising on a daily basis with industry stakeholders (Producers, Consumers, Traders, Brokers and other participants) to collect bids, offers, and spot deals.
- Assessing styrene, refined products and other petrochemical prices based on collected data, adhering to rigorous OPIS PCW by IHS Markit methodology and compliance standards.
- Contributing data and industry intelligence to OPIS PCW by IHS Markit's daily reports.
- Writing daily market commentary, analysis, and industry news stories adhering to strict deadlines.
- Develop strong connection to relevant industry associations
- Give market presentations at client meetings as well as IHS Markit and industry conferences.
- Developing new contacts and relationships within the petrochemical markets, attending industry events, and reaching out to market participants to further develop OPIS PCW's petrochemical business.
- Regular travel across North America to visit existing clients and cultivate relationships with potential clients.
- Support existing clients with a focus on increasing OPIS PCW by IHS Markit's exposure inside client organizations
- Sales calls to be worked in with client visit programs where possible
Skills and Experience
- The legal authorization to work in the US for any US employer.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, economics, business, agriculture, geography or relevant field.
- Demonstrated goal-oriented collaboration skills, with strong diplomatic and problem-solving ability.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a professional reporting or publishing capacity or in an analyst role.
- A basic understanding of commodity markets.
- A commitment to the highest level of accuracy and completing all writing within established deadlines.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite with particular experience in Excel.
- A minimum of 2 years of prior experience with energy markets.
- Prior experience covering the natural gas liquids markets.
- A general understanding of the NGL, feedstocks and petrochemical industry.
- Experience using data science and data visualization tools. Python and Power BI skills a plus.
- Written and spoken Spanish.
- Technical and commercial experience in the petrochemicals industry which could include:
- A thorough understanding of the styrene market, and the key commercial drivers within the marketplace
- A robust knowledge of product contract mechanisms, margin drivers and production processes
- A practical network of established marketplace contacts
- This experience may have been gained in production, conversion and / or distribution industries
- Must have excellent written / spoken English.
- Must be computer literate, conversant with the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must have strong interpersonal, analytical and communication skills (written and oral) and strong strategic thinking. Experience of public speaking to small and large groups is an advantage.
- Must be highly motivated able to work with minimum supervision and be able to work effectively and efficiently within a flexible global team environment.
- The candidate must be willing to travel within the Americas and as necessary to other regions.
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, in order to comply with applicable federal, state, and local vaccine mandates (including those in place for US federal contractors), US employees may be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated, unless they have been approved for an accommodation due to a medical reason, a sincerely held religious belief or another legally protected reason. The company also participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the US.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.