IT Operations Leader at Ball Aerospace
Do you want to work for a world-leading manufacturer who strives to build a better future through sustainability and innovation? Are you looking for a new challenge in a stable, fast-growing sector?
Join us, and build your career by helping us build the future.
We are a global leader in sustainable products with more than 21,000 team members worldwide. From infinitely recyclable aluminum cans, cups, and aerosol bottles, to aerospace solutions that enable our customers to have a deeper understanding of our planet and the universe. We produce all these incredible things with one unique purpose: crafting a better community, a better society, a better world. Moreover, each of us has a deep commitment to diversity and inclusion which is the foundation of our culture of belonging. And everyone at Ball is an everyday champion, making a difference by doing what we love. We lead with our heads and our hearts and combine innovative thinking with a spirit of resiliency that keeps us moving forward in a relentless pursuit of new ways to make life, and the world, better. Whether we’re developing packaging that’s infinitely recyclable or aerospace innovations. Because what we create may change, but what we will always make is a difference.
Primary Purpose of Position:
The Operations Manager will support the Head of Global Business Technology (GBT) and Global Service Delivery (GSD) and key stakeholders to manage the portfolio globally. The Operations Manager will drive portfolio management best practices, own internal processes, and oversee the overall health of the portfolio. This role will directly report to the Head of GBT and GSD, will directly manage the Operations Analyst and indirectly manage a team of Portfolio Managers. Ideal candidates will have prior experience with Portfolio Management, executive-level engagement and demonstrated successes in past initiatives by leading multiple programs and/or portfolios.
- Process Owner for current internal GBT and GSD processes including, but not limited to:
- Monthly (or at other intervals as specified) Project Portfolio Reviews which include business partners, IT, executives, stakeholders and other relevant bodies to report on the project portfolio status, changes, and any escalated risks or issues.
- Monthly internal GBT and GSD reviews which include internal Leadership reporting to the Head of GBT and GSD on project portfolio status, changes, escalated risks, issues and any other portfolio related topics
- Demand or project-related data gaps within the IT portfolio management toolsets (ServiceNow, MeisterPlan, Smartsheet, etc.) and drive data integrity
- Weekly status report summaries for stakeholders
- Own the overall creation, implementation and on-going maintenance process of internal standard operating procedures and documentation that drive efficiency and efficacy of GBT and GSD portfolio management.
- Drive portfolio management best practices, including best use of technologies that drive transparency, visibility, and self-service capabilities (i.e. reporting, etc.) within the organization.
- Liaison with Global Shared Services on any frameworks, processes, procedures, tools, etc. that are being developed or improved to ensure feedback and input are provided on behalf of GBT and GSD
- Liaison with the Project Management Offices on demands/project intake, processes and procedures through project completion.
- Own the overall organizational stakeholder and engagement communication plan
- Ensure the Capability Portfolio Managers adhere to the appropriate governance functions relating to the portfolio in accordance with guidelines, policies and practices including but not limited to: resource planning, status reporting, change control, risk and issue management, demand and project life cycle deliverables, financial management, project planning, time tracking, etc.
- Resolve any internal process and procedure related conflicts and escalate when needed
- Internal GBT and GSD Annual capital and expense portfolio budget process
- In some cases, the Operations Manager may also be responsible for accountabilities above based on support available
- Drive annual organizational KPIs and objectives
- Stay current on the latest methodologies, tools, processes, frameworks, etc. in industry related to Portfolio Management through research, training, networking, attending conferences or events.
- Provide recommendations based on industry best practice, experience and stakeholder feedback for new or improved processes, reviews, reporting, etc. to support long-term growth and maturity of the portfolio
- Develop and maintain overall GBT and GSD multi-year Portfolio roadmap based on Capability Portfolio roadmap.
- Support escalations by Capability Portfolio Managers with high-level dependencies across the projects and programs and resolve or escalate conflicts.
- Communicate any new or upcoming changes to the organization to support user adoption as a Change Agent
- Support talent growth to develop future leaders at Ball by inspiring individuals and creating an environment of feedback, collaboration, and team achievement.
- Support any meetings or working sessions as delegated by the Head of GBT and GSD
- Build relationships with various stakeholders and business partners, across multiple functional areas, divisions and regions
- Manage career paths and learning programs within the org
- Key partners include: Service Delivery, Project Management Office, Service Delivery Resource Managers, Regional Managers, Global Shared Services/IT Governance, Head of GBT and GSD, Portfolio Managers, Technology Capability Leads
- Decision rights include: being responsible for portfolio management processes
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through college or graduate degree level education or work-related experience
- MBA, or similar preferred
- 7-10+ years of direct work in a program/portfolio management with a successful project management track record in full life cycle technology implementation projects, with proven record of execution to time and budget.
- Project Management Certifications are highly desirable (PMP, CSM, Lean Six Sigma etc.)
- Experience leading cross-functional and global teams
- Excellent verbal, written communication, and presentation skills at all levels (executives, project team members, etc.)
- Curiosity and drive to succeed and a willingness to learn and lead by doing
- A team player who integrates well within the team as well as external stakeholders, but also has the ability to work independently
- Self-starter requiring minimal oversight and direction to execute independent tasks
- Ability to work under shifting priorities and deadlines and willing to provide a wide range of support
- Excellent fundamental portfolio/project management skills: facilitation, planning, organizing, attention to detail, managing competing priorities, analytical and systems thinking
- Ability to influence, lead, and manage a team of diverse internal stakeholders, without direct authority and over duration of complex long-term projects
- Capable of building and maintaining good working relationships with stakeholders throughout the company
- Proficient with continuous improvement processes such as lean, Six Sigma, COBIT, ITIL, CMMi
- Working knowledge of the following areas: Project Management Office, Corporate Strategy, Business Development, Finance, Project Management, Change Management
- Proficient in applicable software applications such as Microsoft Office Suite (MS Project, Excel, and PowerPoint, etc.) and experience with Smartsheet preferred
- Previous consulting experience is a plus
Compensation & Benefits
- Hiring Salary Range: $ 98,500 - 150,500 (Salary to be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.)
- Job Grade: 13
- Other Compensation: This role will be eligible to participate in the annual incentive compensation plan.
- Regular Full-Time Salaried and Hourly positions: Ball includes a comprehensive benefits structure, Go to our career site and click "Total Rewards" to learn more.
Ball Corporation has been made aware of reports involving fraudulent job offers. These often appear legitimate, but Ball does not make job offers until after a candidate has submitted a job application and has participated in a face-to-face interview (In person or via WebEx). All email correspondence from Ball Corporation ends in “@ball.com.” Please also be advised that Ball will never request payment or require candidates to deposit a check during the recruitment and onboarding processes. If you have questions about any open positions at Ball, please visit our careers website at https://jobs.ball.com/.
If you have applied to a position and have been asked for personal information through LinkedIn, please notify LinkedIn directly.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans