Head of International Programming at Sling TV
DISH is a Fortune 250 company with more than $14 billion in annual revenue that continues to redefine the communications industry. Our legacy is innovation and a willingness to challenge the status quo, including reinventing ourselves. We disrupted the pay-TV industry in the mid-90s with the launch of the DISH satellite TV service, taking on some of the largest U.S. corporations in the process, and grew to be the fourth-largest pay-TV provider. We are doing it again with the first live, internet-delivered TV service – Sling TV – that bucks traditional pay-TV norms and gives consumers a truly new way to access and watch television.
Now we have our sights set on upending the wireless industry and unseating the entrenched incumbent carriers.
We are driven by curiosity, pride, adventure, and a desire to win – it’s in our DNA. We’re looking for people with boundless energy, intelligence, and an overwhelming need to achieve to join our team as we embark on the next chapter of our story.
Opportunity is here. We are DISH.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of International Programming position will be responsible for both programming deals with content providers from outside the U.S. for the distribution of international programming on the Dish Network and Sling platforms. Specifically, this role will be the key deal lead for both large and small deals with broadcasters and other content providers from abroad.
- Develop and execute content acquisition and programming strategy including (but not limited to) sourcing and securing new content acquisition, existing agreement renewal / renegotiation, and programming product design and evaluation
- Provide strategic and analytical guidance on all new content opportunities that support internal strategies and customer expectations
- Develop and maintain programming relationships through routine contact with programmers to ensure contractual needs are being met. Foster and maintain an in-depth knowledge of the competitive entertainment landscape globally.
- Create strategic plans and present to senior management
- Develop relationships and work collaboratively with other DISH & Sling TV teams (finance, operations, legal, marketing, field, public relations etc.) to ensure the department and systems are running smoothly
- Hire and supervise small team to negotiate programming deals and provide related operational support. Engage in the typical responsibilities of a manager including planning, evaluating, controlling and tracking against goals, budget, and timetables
Skills - Experience and Requirements
- A strong interest in global and international issues, foreign cultures and languages and related fields, including travel.
- 5+ years related experience in media and/or entertainment, with experience and/or high interest in the new media space, with demonstrated experience in business development and negotiations. Solid understanding of content production and distribution and key industry players.
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience. A law degree (J.D.) can also be beneficial but is not required.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and highly dynamic environment (including rigorous deal timelines)
- Strong financial and analytical skills. Ability to think creatively and independently, as well as collaboratively. Exceptional drafting and writing abilities; executive level communication skills (written and presentation)
- Ability to manage and work with legal resources.