Field Technician at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, and dedicated Internet access. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
This position is primarily responsible for performing duties associated with hands on functions within the telecommunications industry. Technicians will install, test or turn up a variety of telecommunications equipment including SONet, TDM, DWDM, IP or Ethernet based equipment. Technician also troubleshoots and handles maintenance of various types of equipment noted.
- Responsible for the correct, safe, and efficient locating and marking of underground utilities by carefully searching for the underground plant in an area, properly marking the location, and completing the necessary paperwork.
- Participate in conference calls or meetings related to projects and processes.
- Perform installation and installation commissioning, troubleshooting, and handling optical transmission systems.
- Perform OTDR, Ethernet, BER and SONET acceptance testing.
- Assist the Zayo Engineering department with network construction activities and required Fiber Engineering paperwork including but not limited to: route forms, splice engineering packages, red lines and as-builts.
- Monitor contractor and sub-contractors performing conduit installation, cable placement and splicing.
- Provide preliminary site surveys for building entrance construction requirements and equipment space availability.
- Provide support for all contractor splicing activities. This support includes continuity testing, OTDR trace analysis and optical power meter data of fiber optic cable.
- Responsible for installation and testing of fiber optic patch cords.
- Perform cable splicing and fiber acceptance testing.
- Monitor contractor, vendor, and customer co-location installations, equipment placement and testing.
- Proactively seek and identify potential network problems and address these issues before becoming service affecting events. This includes action to resolve issues identified during routine PMI’s conducted during defined timelines.
- Participate in local on-call schedule rotation.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience installing, testing or turning up a variety of telecommunications equipment including SONET, TDM, DWDM, and IP.
- Experience with Underground Utility Markings, Construction Monitoring, and Construction Inspection.
- Experience with Metrotech vLocML2 or equivalent Fiber Optic Cable Locator.
- Technician should also be proficient in the troubleshooting and maintenance of various types of equipment noted. Technician will have a strong technical, mechanical and electrical background and be familiar and proficient around all major manufacturers of transport equipment, high voltage electrical systems, DC power plant as well as knowledge of critical infrastructure, ISP/OSP and all associated test systems to include optical, electrical and power testing equipment associated with the telecommunications Industry.
- Well rounded technicians will be expected to have an understanding of telecommunications standards (i.e. ITU, IEEE, NEBS) as well as possessing strong analytical, technical and customer skills while effectively multi-tasking and if needed doing so in a self-reliant manner by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates supervisors and staff members.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as OSHA/Company safety rules, MSDS, MOP’s, process and procedure documents as well as vendor documentation related to equipment owned by the company.
- Ability to write routine reports, properly fill out documentation such as site surveys and audit reports as well as effectively communicate with customers, management, peers and contractors as well as other members of the organization.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations as well as possessing deductive reasoning skills utilized to improve customer experience and network performance.
- Able to work well with internal and external peers (carrier/vendor peers) on daily tasks and responsibilities towards a common goal, ability to resolve minor conflicts with industry peers, internal peers or customers without management intervention being necessary.
- Ability to cover various work assignments during a variety of work hours to include day and night time activities. Technician needs to also be willing to commit to long hours of work when necessary to reach company goals or objectives. Occasional, overnight travel will be required as necessary.
- Operates company vehicle in accordance with safe driving practices and will ensure routine maintenance is performed on the vehicle per defined schedule. Technician will also conduct a daily inspection of vehicle to ensure its safe operating condition.
Base salary range: $65,785-$71,719
Annual Incentive Plan (AIP) - Full-time Zayo employees are also eligible for discretionary AIP which is based on the performance of the Company, an employee’s business segment, and the individual employee
Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
Fitness membership discounts
Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time