Director of Technical Operations
Guild, the leading education benefits platform and one of Denver's fastest growing startups, is increasing economic mobility for working adults in America and providing education and support to help every student survive and thrive in the economy of tomorrow. Our platform helps employers offer education as a benefit to their employees by connecting employers' workforces with our network of nonprofit universities and education institutions that focus on serving the needs of working adults. And, our team of retention coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through graduation. In order to accelerate our growth and achieve our mission to serve 1000s more students, we've raised over $70 million from top tier investors including Felicis Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, and Redpoint Ventures (among other social impact and VC partners!).
You’ll love this role if you are excited to build successful relationships with our business and operations teams (e.g., Client Partnerships, Marketing, Student Operations, Finance) to understand user pain points and identify opportunities for business process improvements. You’ll be responsible for managing a team of developers and analysts who are responsible for successfully delivering against our internal tools roadmap (Looker, Salesforce, Marketo, etc.) business app roadmap. The role reports into the technology organization.
A day in our open, collaborative workspace might look like:
- Develop and execute on the internal tools roadmap to improve the effectiveness of our stakeholders.
- Facilitate effective project communication and extreme clarity in requirements and technical specifications between the internal tools team and stakeholders in Sales, Marketing, Customer Operations, and Finance.
- Establish appropriate timelines, project plans, tracking mechanisms, and documentation to ensure recent and accurate information.
- Evaluate and recommend build vs buy solutions for various problems throughout the organization.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by:
- Managing a team of engineers and analysts to successfully deliver against a coherent internal tools strategy.
- Establishing a solid foundation for how our internal tools currently enable or inhibit operational needs and developing a vision and roadmap to ensure efficient and streamlined operations.
- Overseeing a team of individuals responsible for providing tools and insights that allow company leadership to access data in near real-time.
- Utilizing structured, logical thinking to comfortably design and execute the transformation of our current system and processes into leading edge, forward thinking processes.
You’ll know if you’re successful if:
- Your teams can provide consistent, stable, and accurate reporting and data visualizations for all of our internal and external stakeholders that allow for the operating team to make sound decisions.
- We design tools and workflows that allow for efficient and effective output of our key internal operations and business processes.
- You prove the power of developing strong internal tools and processes because cross-functional stakeholders feel as though their jobs have gotten easier.
You’ll join a team:
- Focused on our double-bottom-line mission of changing higher ed for working adults and building a successful startup in Denver.
- From diverse backgrounds – from traditional higher education, to athletic coaches, to politicians, to startup leaders (and more!).
- Of learners & problem-solvers dedicated to our dual mission of changing education in America while building a successful, high-growth company.
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment that you’d support every day.
What you’ll add to Guild – as an individual and part of the broader team:
- Experience managing teams, resources, tasks, and workflows in a technical project/program/product leadership role.
- Experience implementing and integrating enterprise SaaS tools for customer relationship management, communication, business intelligence, ETL, and operations (e.g. Salesforce, Marketo or other marketing automation tools, Looker, etc.).
- Proven history of driving multiple complex projects teams at the same time to on-time completion in a fast-moving environment.
- Deep understanding of software development and system integration processes and methodologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills: experience collaborating successfully with diverse cross-functional teams and driving toward consensus while not being afraid to say “no.”
- Discernment and empathy for internal users’ pain points and needs and an ability to translate those needs into concrete technical specifications.
- Ability to think beyond today’s challenges and drive cross-functional teams toward a coherent long-term vision.
- Hands-on systems development and previous software engineering experience a plus.
- Something else? Wonderful, we're curious to learn more about you!