Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
Outrider seeks a lead systems engineer to guide all aspects of system reliability design, development, and commercialization via the creation and implementation of a quality management system (QMS).
This role will be critical in helping refine the features and functionality of a sophisticated robotics-centric service that must be highly predictable, reliable, and economical. The engineering/operations leader filling the Director of Quality role will influence all aspects of product development, introduction, and operation of The Outrider System to drive repeatable and scalable logistics automation -- from architecture, to software and hardware, to field support, to maintenance and warranty items.
The Director of Quality will report to the COO and build an overarching quality methodology that addresses engineering, manufacturing, supply chain processes, and fleet operations.
The ideal candidate for this role has successfully led quality/reliability efforts at a mobile robotics or autonomous vehicle project that resulted in large-scale production and commercialization. However, excellent candidates could also hail from the medical device, telecom/networking equipment, aerospace, or other sectors whose business performance heavily depends on quality management processes that deliver safe, precise, predictable, repeatable, and scalable products and/or services.
- Design, develop, launch, and build the culture, processes, and benchmarks that drive high quality and reliability for an integrated, system-of-systems automation service -- including the design of an overarching quality management system (QMS)
- Direct commercial, operations, and engineering functions to ensure that commercial service availability & reliability meets business and customer objectives
- Consult with engineering to design high reliability into the system, from initial concepts through development
- Create and implement processes and procedures to report and triage field data, issues, and failures
- Foster high levels of organizational accountability across functions
- Manage supplier quality, including component suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Define the total system reliability approach and decompose requirements to lower level subsystems and components
- Identify verification steps (e.g., analysis, tests) to confirm that the system, subsystems and components will meet customer expectations
- Provision, establish, and maintain various engineering, reliability and quality tools & techniques throughout development, including FMEA, FTA, poke-yoke, MSA, derating/redundancy, RGT, HASS, HALT, etc.
- Support quality process development and initial quality management certification (e.g., ISO-9001)
- Regularly report performance metrics to engineering, operations, commercial, and executive functions
- Travel as required, including internationally
- 10+ years' experience in a production environment with complex, software-driven, electro-mechanical systems
- 5-7+ years' background in a senior quality management or reliability engineering role with responsibility for fielding products that exceed internal and external design and manufacturing requirements
- Successful design and implementation of a quality management system (QMS) for an integrated hardware/software product
- Background driving ISO-9001 certification for a system-of-systems product that incorporates both software and hardware
- Proven track record of developing full-cycle product development and quality management processes, including tools and techniques mentioned above
- Comfort and familiarity working with outside contractors and consultants
- Strong communication skills, including a track record of interfacing with executives
- Referenceable skill and success leading teams, directly or indirectly, as part of complex development efforts
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, operations research, or equivalent field
- 5+ years' experience in production robotics
- Experience building and leading quality organizations in a fast-growing environment
- SW reliability & cloud availability experience
- ISO-9001 certification
Read Full Job Description