Director of Propulsion/Powerplant at Boom Supersonic
| Greater Denver Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:17 a.m. (MST) on Wednesday, November 25, 2020
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup bringing supersonic flight back to the skies with Overture. As the world’s fastest airliner, Overture is designed and committed to industry-leading standards of speed, safety and sustainability. Flights twice as fast as today’s commercial airplanes, means we can go twice as far—bringing more people, places, and cultures into our lives.
Boom is the first commercial airplane manufacturer to commit to a carbon-neutral flight test program and to build sustainability into its entire aircraft program. Founded in 2014, Boom has assembled a team of over 140 full-time employees who have made contributions to over 220 air and spacecraft programs.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
We are seeking a PowerPlant / Propulsion Director to join our team. You will be responsible for developing Overture’s powerplant (i.e. EEC, TRU, ECS, Fuel, etc.) and systems related to the power plant. Additionally you will be integral in building a world class team of engineers.
- This position has the responsibility and oversight of the design, test, certification and support of the aircraft power plant including its systems (i,e, EEC, TRU, ECS, Fuel, Oxygen, APU, etc) within the Overture program. In addition, this position is also responsible for aircraft Acoustics and Vibration.
- Manage the introduction of next levels of integration of all aircraft systems without compromising the integrity of the individual system or function; improper design application could result in questionable safety margins rendering systems/aircraft unable to receive certification.
- Work hand-in-hand with Program Leadership, Chief Engineer, and other leaders to build a strong relationship in order to obtain quality employees and consistent design work.
- Lead the trade studies of aircraft systems to find the right solution for Overture
- Design (CATIA) high level (low fidelity) system layouts to support the system trade studies
- A Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related experience required
- 15+ years experience, including in a leadership role on at least one aircraft program from initial concept through flight and certification
- Fundamental understanding of every key technical discipline (configuration, aero, systems, propulsion, structures, software/avionics, flight test, manufacturing)
- Part 23 or 25 certification experience (part 25 preferred)
- Familiarity with: Guidelines for Development of Civil Aircraft and Systems per ARP 4754, Aircraft Safety Assessment Process per ARP 4761, Software Development Life Cycle per DO-178 and Environmental qualification per DO-160
- Experienced in developing budget & staffing plans; communicating team’s progress to plan via metrics
- Proven problem-solving leadership skills; can lead a team through solving hard, complex, ambiguous technical problems
- Excellent leadership skills—able to keep teams moving and motivated to meet business needs; identify opportunities and providing solution(s) to minimize program impacts
- Persuasive—must be able to win support of internal and external parties alike
- Team building communication skills, the ability to interface effectively with different groups internally and externally
- High bar; builds and retains world-class teams
It Would Be Great if You Had
- Masters/PHD in related field of engineering
- Member of aerospace industry advisory and / or rule-making boards
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description