Director of Customer Success
Guild, the leading education benefits platform and one of Denver's fastest growing startups, is increasing economic mobility for working adults in America and providing education and support to help every student survive and thrive in the economy of tomorrow. Our platform helps employers offer education as a benefit to their employees by connecting employers' workforces with our network of nonprofit universities and education institutions that focus on serving the needs of working adults. And, our team of retention coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through graduation. In order to accelerate our growth and achieve our mission to serve 1000s more students, we've raised over $70 million from top tier investors including Felicis Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, and Redpoint Ventures (among other social impact and VC partners!). Now, we’re looking for a Director of Customer Success to lead our student coaching team.
Supporting student retention is core to what we do and your team is responsible for our students’ ongoing success in their learning program. As the Director of Customer Success, you’ll lead our fast-growing Student Success team from our headquarters in Denver while they coach students all across the country who are navigating the challenges of balancing school and work. It’s an exciting opportunity to guide decisions that affect Guild as a whole and use your expertise to help us improve and innovate on customer success solutions.
A day in our open, collaborative workspace might look like:
- Strategic goal-setting for the student success team – from collaborating to establish key quarterly goals to capacity planning to talent management and performance improvement
- Oversight & accountability on key metrics and operational processes – you’ll be the source to know our data cold - from our contact rate with students each week to our retention metrics and progress towards goals
- Partner with technology team to drive innovation in retention - identify challenges and opportunities to improve process and performance; using data to prioritize decisions and propose new enhancements around hiring, technology, student outreach strategy, and data and reporting
- Managing, mentoring, and developing your team of managers and individual contributors - to strengthen their performance and ability to support our students more effectively through email, phone, texts, video conference, etc.
- Utilizing best-practice research and practices to implement strategy around coaching adult learners online, prototyping based on learnings, prior experience, and continued pulse on research and strategies in the field
- Building and maintaining relationships with academic partners to ensure effective processes are in place and best practices are shared
- Collaborating cross-functionally with teams like Enrollment, University Partnerships, Academic Operations, and Financial Services to build operational efficiency
In this role, you’ll grow and expand your expertise by:
- Improving efficiencies, setting and meeting key goals, and implementing new innovative strategies to enhance the success of the student success team and organization
- Serving in a highly cross-functional, business-critical role where you’ll have visibility, access, and exposure to key decisions and the people making them
- Creating innovative solutions that increase efficacy, efficiency, or retention outcomes through product, technology, process improvement, etc.
You’ll know if you’re successful by:
- Setting and meeting your team’s ambitious student success metrics related to course and program completion, re-enrollment, and student satisfaction
- Seeing your operational changes and coaching strategy innovations improve student outcomes and efficiency metrics for your team
- Becoming a trusted partner for our universities and academic partners as an expert in student coaching for online learners
You’ll join a team:
- That is growing quickly and needs a cohesive culture that makes coaching an attractive career choice
- With various coaching backgrounds – from traditional higher education, to K-12 teachers, to athletic coaches and mental health professionals
- Of learners & problem-solvers dedicated to our dual mission of changing education in America while building a successful, high-growth company
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment that you’d support every day
What you’ll add to Guild – as an individual and part of the broader team:
- 5+ years experience leading a customer success or student success team in a B2C environment
- Experience leading a team that worked with customers or students remotely via phone, email, text, videoconference, etc.
- A developed belief in scalable retention models (125+ customers or students per coach) with successes to highlight and lessons to draw from
- Expertise implementing, managing and improving CRM systems to support customer or student success and retention, including Salesforce and a comfort with technology that will enable you to successfully improve existing technology and/or evaluate new tech to support success
- Expertise extracting insight from data sets and using those insights to make operational decisions and changes
- The ability to partner effectively with engineering, university partnerships, data science and product teams to enhance data availability and presentation
- A vision of what the culture of the student success center should look like, and how you will build and cultivate that culture
- Passion for higher education and our mission – Guild is pioneering a new path for education as a benefit in a complicated and regulated space – success means quickly and effectively adapting your expertise
- Experience in a startup or similar environment where there is frequent change and a need to demonstrate and act with a sense of urgency