Director of Business Operations at Hotel Engine (Greater Denver Area, CO or Remote)
Hotel Engine is the world’s largest Lodging Performance Network, established to create a richer, more rewarding business travel experience by connecting a global network of businesses and lodging partners. Our innovative travel-tech company is on an incredible growth trajectory and will continue to build on our strong foundations by bringing our customer obsession, data-driven problem-solving, and bias for action into every decision we make.
In December of 2021, we closed our series B funding round with a $1.3 billion valuation, and that’s just the beginning. We expect 2022 to be our best year yet.
Working hard behind the scenes building and supporting our platform are exceptional people–from our large engineering and product teams to our fast-growing sales, supplier, and member support orgs, to our data, marketing, and operations teams.
We value our individuality, and we also understand that together, we thrive. Most importantly, we know we’re not for everyone! We’re focused on finding the right people who are energized by our culture, with diverse experiences and backgrounds that will help us unlock our full potential. Complacency doesn’t live here. We’ve built a team of world-class people who really want to work with other world-class people. Click here to view our DNA, and if you like what you see, please, read on!
We are looking for a Director to take a leadership role on our Business Operations team and support our fast growth. This is a key role with executive-level visibility, a finger on the pulse of the overall business, and broad impact for someone who exhibits intellectual curiosity and rigor, and a capacity of execution to tackle some of the most critical challenges that span the breadth of our business.
Reporting to our VP of Data & Business Operations, you will foster cross-functional collaboration, act as a strategic partner to the executive leadership team and lead high leverage projects and initiatives with the goal to not only help us move faster but also be a strong catalyst for growth. The ideal candidate possesses strong business acumen and analytical skills and can not only think strategically but also get her hands dirty to optimize processes and push for change and improvements. She thrives working on projects independently as well as with a diverse set of stakeholders.
This is a key leadership role within the Business Operations team, with broad strategic responsibilities, an opportunity to directly influence the trajectory of the business, and significant growth potential. The individual must be highly motivated, a self-starter with a strong track record of achievements, and both an obsession for rigorous work and bias for action.
If you are passionate, about travel, about working on both strategic project and hands-on implementation, and relate to our vision and DNA, please apply.
Although most of the team is based in Denver, the role can be remote for the right candidate.
Here's what you'll do:
- Develop and lead the operations function
- Identify and roll-out new initiatives with cross-functional stakeholders
- Work with department leaders to define and implement functional strategies in line with overall company goals and to identify and roll-out new or improved processes
- Develop business cases for Hotel Engine to expand in new markets, new product offerings, or deliver growth through M&A and partnerships
- Explore new/adjacent markets and business models through competitive intelligence, product/industry research, etc… and prepare recommendations for growth/monetization
- Become an industry expert and subject matter expert in multiple product areas, providing insights and opinion on an ongoing basis and contributing to our strategy in these areas
- Develop, monitor, and analyze KPIs across the business to assess performance towards strategic goals and milestones, and provide actionable recommendations across departments to drive growth and operational efficiency
- Prepare and deliver analyses and presentations for leadership and in support to board meetings, investor decks, and other internal/external corporate communications as necessary
- Partner with FP&A and other functions to plan, manage, review budget, measure and track performance and ROI of key investments and initiatives
- Document and manage key cross-functional processes. Take the lead in identifying and rolling out improvements to reduce friction and promote higher efficiency and impact
- Lead and track day-to-day operations, ensuring we deliver on our strategic and operational goals
- Act as a mentor to associates both on the business operations team and across other departments
Here's what we’re looking for:
- 7+ years of experience in technical, quantitative, strategy or product fields. At least 3 years leading an operations team at a technology company, with exposure to a mix of Finance, Operations, Growth roles
- Proven experience recruiting and leading top business operations talent
- You can perform rigorous quantitative and qualitative data analyses both independently and in partnership with the Data & Analytics team to define KPIs, leverage them to have a deep understanding of the health and performance of the business, identify opportunity and threats, and deliver well-crafted and persuasive findings and recommendations to cross-functional stakeholders at all levels
- Excellent communication skills both in written (memos, emails, decks) and verbal form
- Proven ability to lead projects to completion and collaborate seamlessly with others
- You can absorb quantitative and qualitative data and information from a variety of sources (customer interviews, competitors, market research, account executives' data, internal dashboards, leadership input, etc..), connect it and derive clear conclusions and recommendations
- You are comfortable writing intermediate SQL without supervision and using Business Intelligence tools (Looker, Tableau, Periscope for instance) to retrieve data and build well-designed visualizations and dashboards
- You are a self-starter, able to operate effectively and with autonomy in a fast-paced environment with a high level of ambiguity, and you have experience building productive and positive relationships across an organization at all levels (entry level to senior executives)
- Track record of rigorous execution and high impact
- Highly detailed-oriented and exceptional organizational and follow-through skills is a must
- The total cash compensation for this role is $130,000 - $170,000/year. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise & may vary from the amount above.
- This role is eligible for remote work. Hotel Engine is authorized to do business in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, TX, UT & WA. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Hotel Engine is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more.
Hotel Engine Total Rewards Philosophy | We recognize that there is more to work than day-to-day responsibilities. Hotel Engine has been recognized on Built-in Colorado’s Best Places to Work list 3 years in a row (2020-2022) for our positive culture and robust growth opportunities.
As a company, we’re also dedicated to giving back to our greater community, and have comprehensive corporate social responsibility programs supporting community, social justice and environmental causes. In addition to a collaborative, high-performing team environment, we’re pleased to offer benefits including:
- Competitive base salaries
- Annual performance bonuses
- Stock options for all associates + performance-based stock options
- Insurance benefits including medical coverage (with a plan available at no cost to employees) + 100% paid dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan with a match program
- Unlimited PTO + 2 paid days each year to volunteer with your favorite non-profit
- Paid parental leave and family medical leave
- Hotel discounts through our exclusive platform
- The ability to make a real impact in an incredibly fast-growing organization; you’ll never be just another cog in the wheel.