Director - Agile Payloads at Ball Aerospace
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Director – Agile Payloads
This position reports to the Senior Director of Payload Engineering at Ball Aerospace.
What You'll Do:
- Develop the vision and strategy for the Agile Payloads group and grow the capabilities and capacity to achieve the goals of the business.
- Evaluate internal and external technology in electro-optical and radio frequency remote sensing payloads to establish achievable capabilities of systems.
- Partner with business units in the evaluation of internal capabilities and external capabilities to establish addressable market segments.
- Lead a team of architects assessing customer mission needs and developing a long-term roadmap for proliferated remote sensing payloads including identification of future technologies.
- Integrate mission needs and capabilities to establish a range of standard offerings that address a broad range of agile payload needs.
- Partner with other business units to integrate mission needs and capabilities to generate compelling offers for agile payloads.
- Assess the execution risk of proposed efforts and communicate them to the executive staff.
- Establish a best-value culture for the group that includes critical evaluation of processes and command media.
- Work with a broad range of stakeholders to establish baseline design and hardware verification requirements for agile payloads.
- Develop internal project plans and advocate for funding at the Executive Staff level.
- Responsible for the execution (Cost, Schedule, Technical) of electro-optical and radio frequency payloads.
- Serve as a principal member of the Engineering leadership team.
- Provide functional management of principal staff to support the breadth of managed responsibilities within the directorate.
- Foster a diverse and inclusive environment for staff and customers.
- Provide leadership and functional direction of the leadership team by exhibiting behaviors aligned with the tenants of Ball's Inspire, Connect and Achieve (ICA) leadership model. The behaviors would include providing a unifying vision, understanding the diverse needs of others to meet business challenges and acting with humility and a collaborative spirit.
- Lead and manage the organization and develop a robust employee development capability.
- Establish, develop, and maintain strong relationships with Engineering peers, internal stakeholders and external customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS/BA plus 15 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- An advanced degree is preferred.
- Degree in Engineering preferred.
- Experience in technology management and strategic direction preferred.
- Demonstrated history of space based remote sensing system engineering is preferred.
- A current active DoD/Top Secret clearance is required.
- Strong customer service, accountability, professionalism and interpersonal skills.
- Possess strong critical thinking skills that result in effective decision making and priority setting.
- Drive for results and executional excellence.
- Team building skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and listening skills.
- Must be comfortable interacting with colleagues at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams.
- Comfortable operating at a fast pace.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented.
- Budgeting/cost estimating experience.
- Familiarity with Aerospace & Defense industry and associated program execution processes.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $166,500 - $230,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Subject to business performance and recommendations of management, this role may be eligible to participate in an incentive compensation plan.
- Subject to business and individual performance, and recommendations of management, this role may be eligible to participate in a long-term incentive compensation plan.
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.